Any reason not to run MK2 steppers in low power mode?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member

I am really like running the MK2 in low power mode to make the steppers quiet.

In what situations if any should I not run the steppers in low power mode?

Posted : 24/12/2016 6:51 pm
JohnOCFII
(@johnocfii)
Estimable Member
Re: Any reason not to run MK2 steppers in low power mode?

I've only been running in high power mode since I built my MK2 in September.

I've read enough stories of failed prints (usually longer, taller prints) that seemed to be resolved by using high power mode that I've decided to accept the noise.

If there was a good metric of when to use low vs. high power mode, I'd gladly swap back and forth.

Posted : 25/12/2016 5:02 pm
Nick
 Nick
(@nick-19)
Trusted Member

I have printed all heights and sizes and pla and abs in silent mode with no issues ever due to it

Posted : 26/12/2016 12:50 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

I have printed all heights and sizes and pla and abs in silent mode with no issues ever due to it

I haven't. So my printer is always run if high power mode. Prusa changed the firmware default to high power because some users were experiencing failed prints in quiet mode.

The problem is that no two stepper motors are the same and there are a few people able to run in quiet mode without problem. If you are one of them, then great, keep on using it. For me, I don't have an issue with the noise and would much rather have good prints every time.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 26/12/2016 11:38 am
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

I was wondering about this question the last couple of days.
'high power'
I have problems with very large prints failing when a blob of plastic gets deposited in the path of the nozzle one way or the other.

The result has been a layer shift on many occasions, aka a failed print.

I wonder if high power mode would have run the nozzle through the obstacle and prevented missed steps.

Well, switch to 'high power' mode it is for me for now.

Posted : 26/12/2016 12:25 pm
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member
Topic starter answered:

I was thinking the same thing about the blobs and missteps.

I never get blobs with PLA but always have some with PETG.

Based on this I would use low power mode when printing with PLA.

I would only run high power mode if I want maximum detail on the print object or if running something like PETG where the nozzle will have to push or smooth over filament artifacts.

Posted : 26/12/2016 1:09 pm
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member
Topic starter answered:

So I was printing the NASA wrench and had my 1st layer shift after about 4 days of printing in low power mode.

Here is the wrench: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:608397

I also notice the pinda probe protector got hit cause it was pressed in. Reprint now in high power.

Update. I looks like while the gear lock is being built it gets detached and snags on the model, so in this case it was the way i sliced it. I think print this on a raft will fix the issue.

Update 2: Yup, raft fixed the issue. The locking level got picked up by the head and lockup up on a piece of the model. It's back to low power mode for me.

Posted : 27/12/2016 11:58 pm
Nigel
(@nigel)
Honorable Member

I have always printed as default in low power mode. I get brilliant prints. Its a matter of fact for me. No more debate from me.

Nigel
Life is keeping interested and excited by knowledge and new things.

Posted : 29/12/2016 3:44 am
VortyZA
(@vortyza)
Eminent Member

I've had a couple of failed prints due to missed steps, which has caused me to switch between low and high depending on the prints I'm doing:

HIGH power:
Long prints, regardless of their geometry (eg multiple pieces)
Short prints with fairly heavy overhangs (approaching or exceeding 45 degrees)
Multiple parts where I'm not using z-hop (eg color print).

LOW power:
Most other small prints (when I'm not going to be as hacked off due to a failure)
Prints without overhangs.

An example is the spiral chess set on Thingiverse ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:470700 ). It's a beautiful design, but had 2 minor incidents during the print overnight - most of the pieces were useless 🙁
(I turned the pawns which were mostly OK into interesting Christmas tree ornaments!)

The noise difference is quite marked to me, which is why I ever bother with low power!

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:00 am
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member

Once I got decent bearings into the darn thing, i cant hear much of a difference between high power and quiet mode anymore, so there is absolutely no reason to switch back to low power anymore.

With the stock bearings it was either quiet mode or don't print at all. Having said that, i never had a print fail in low power mode either, but why risk it? If you worried about the noise, fix the noise instead of risking long prints.

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:29 am
Share: