I3MK2S, using only the spring steel sheet from the 2.5 upgrade kit

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
mzrhayes
(@mzrhayes)

Hey everyone, so I want to know if i can replace my current head bed on my I3MK2S to the one that comes in the upgrade kit for the 2.5.  Basically I don't want to do the entire upgrade, just the bed and bed level sensor.  Is the possible?  I'd imagine I'd have to upgrade firmware as well.

Posted : 02/08/2020 1:40 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: I3MK2S, using only the spring steel sheet from the 2.5 upgrade kit

Hi Michael, 

I fitted the Mk2.5 heatbed to my Mk2 MMU1 printer... 

the problem is, 

the Magnetic heatbed has different sense points embedded in the heatbed, compared to what the Mk2 Firmware is expecting, and the Mk2.5S Firmware is expecting bondtech hobbed gears not the smaller mk2S Hobbed gear... 

so neither firmware is fully appropriate... 

I kept the Mk2 Firmware, and simply do not do the XYZ calibration...  (because I want to keep MMUv1)

you may choose to do the same!

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 02/08/2020 2:45 pm
mzrhayes
(@mzrhayes)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb

OK, thank you Joan.  I was wondering that.  My predicament is my original PEI bed on my MK2S is damaged in the middle.  I had a petg print get super stuck there and wellllll.  So, I was trying to upgrade the bed prior to printing the 2.5 upgrade parts for my extruder.  It hasn't been an issue because my prints have been small enough to work around it, but eventually I'm going to have to figure it out!  Thanks for your help 🙂

Posted : 03/08/2020 12:43 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Michael, 

You know your XYZ calibration is Ok on the Mk2,  this means there is no need to repeat the XYZ calibration at this time!

so replace the old  heatbed with the new heatbed, 

Wash your Build plate to clean it 

do a First layer calibration 

preferably using something like Life Adjust Z My Way in preference tot he Prusa first layer calibration, 

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/

and print your upgrade parts...

if using PETG you might wish to wipe the build plate with Windex to prevent excess adhesion... 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 03/08/2020 1:12 am
Share: