Notifications
Clear all

Extruder calibration  

RSS
alexander.m7
(@alexander-m7)
Extruder calibration

So this may be a dumb question but when doing move axis on the LCD screen what are the units of number that displays for the Extruder axis? Is it steps, or is it mm? I am trying to calibrate my extruder with a new hobbed gear so I can change the value in the firmware

Posted : 23/08/2018 4:46 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator
Re: Extruder calibration

It's millimetres

But you are better of connecting via Pronterface/OctoPrint and issuing a command like:

G1 E100 F120

Which will feed 100 mm of filament at 2mm/s (120mm/min)

But you would also need to issue the following first:

M83 ; relative "E" values
G90 E0 ; Initialise "E" value to zero.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 23/08/2018 5:01 pm
Chris
(@chris-50)
Eminent Member

It's millimetres

But you are better of connecting via Pronterface/OctoPrint and issuing a command like:

G1 E100 F120

Which will feed 100 mm of filament at 2mm/s (120mm/min)

But you would also need to issue the following first:

M83 ; relative "E" values
G90 E0 ; Initialise "E" value to zero.

Peter

Does one need to zero the extruder when using relative positioning?

Posted : 23/08/2018 9:56 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Does one need to zero the extruder when using relative positioning?

No, but it's a good idea. {this next it is how things were last time I looked and may have been changed since} Even though you are using relative positioning, it is the absolute position stored in a "Float" (not very precise) that determines E movement. So after a long print, 100 mm may not be quite the same as after initialising the position.

I am now in the habit of issuing the "G90 E0" at every layer change.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 23/08/2018 10:06 pm
Chris
(@chris-50)
Eminent Member

No, but it's a good idea. {this next it is how things were last time I looked and may have been changed since} Even though you are using relative positioning, it is the absolute position stored in a "Float" (not very precise) that determines E movement. So after a long print, 100 mm may not be quite the same as after initialising the position.

I am now in the habit of issuing the "G90 E0" at every layer change.

Peter

Interesting, I'll give that a shot it can't hurt.

Posted : 24/08/2018 4:05 am
Share: