Notifications
Clear all

Simplify3D (S3D) settings for the Original Prusa i3 printers  

Page 10 / 18
  RSS
jhoff80
(@jhoff80)
Trusted Member
Re: Simplify3D print settings (August 30, 2016)

So the newest version of Simplify3D has been out for a while now and includes built-in support for the MK2. Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Prusa-provided profile to the built-in one yet to see the results?

Posted : 30/11/2016 6:34 pm
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member

So the newest version of Simplify3D has been out for a while now and includes built-in support for the MK2. Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Prusa-provided profile to the built-in one yet to see the results?

I did and stuck with the RC provided by Prusa. Main difference as far as i can tell is that the prusa profile includes modifications to the acceleration settings. the profile provided by S3D dosn't. I didnt notice any visible difference in the resulting prints, however.

Posted : 30/11/2016 8:26 pm
JohnnyricoMC
(@johnnyricomc)
Estimable Member

I took a look at the settings, but I'm sticking with my adjusted version of the official Prusa profile. Of that one I know I don't have to worry about stringing with my preferred PLA brand. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Posted : 02/12/2016 9:21 pm
MaverickMaker
(@maverickmaker)

The RC4 version of S3D has a default first layer set at 100% height, 95% width. In Slic3r, it is set to 80% height (and by default, 100% width as there isn't a setting). Everything I've read says that the first layer is supposed to be lower to make up for any irregularities in the bed. Am I missing something? Or are the defaults wrong?

Any one got an answer for this. I notice it as well. My prints were not sticking until I changed this down to 90%, would like to know if 80% would be better.

Posted : 06/12/2016 12:36 am
simon.p
(@simon-p)
Trusted Member

The RC4 version of S3D has a default first layer set at 100% height, 95% width. In Slic3r, it is set to 80% height (and by default, 100% width as there isn't a setting). Everything I've read says that the first layer is supposed to be lower to make up for any irregularities in the bed. Am I missing something? Or are the defaults wrong?

Any one got an answer for this. I notice it as well. My prints were not sticking until I changed this down to 90%, would like to know if 80% would be better.

It does not matter. You prints should stick with any first layer height (0.1 - 0.2).Irrelevant of the remaining layers' height. Just leave it at 100% and you should be fine. At least that is my observation. Only too fast printing speed on the first layer can still be a problem.

Posted : 20/12/2016 9:12 am
Philippe Trottier
(@philippe-trottier)
Eminent Member

Hello,

I noticed the last update for the S3D profile from Prusa is from late August. And I do have a print I can't do properly on slc3r. Support going all nuts. where bridging should be used. What's the most complete profile available now a day ?

Posted : 22/12/2016 2:39 am
Chris Garrett
(@chris-garrett)

I went back to Slic3r, the profile seems a bit better configured and the results are good enough for my needs (though both Slic3r and the S3D profiles have gnarly zipper problems).

http://Makerhacks.com
Posted : 30/12/2016 9:54 pm
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

First of all, let me say that for a closed source paid product Simplify3D seems pretty amateurish from an UI and UX standpoint. The whole configuration thing drives me nuts. From a pure "slicer" point of view I'm not experienced enough to make an educated comparison but considering the very good result you can get from Cura or Slic3r I would have expected more from Simplify3D at least from an usability point of view.

That being said. After a couple of days of fiddling with the XML file (manually because the software doesn't let you edit all the parameters from the interface) I ended up with a very good printing quality.

From the left 0.15mm, 0.1mm, 0.05mm resolution. I believe at 0.05 I need to play with retraction a little more as it creates some filaments in the small movements. Also I'm not very satisfied by how the support material is generated, so more work there too.

The following is a detail of the small guy. Really impressed by my prusa, next time I'll try the 0.25 nozzle.

The file can be downloaded and updated here https://gist.github.com/cubiq/502e171c6ee0f69f47044dbabace829b please if you have suggestions do tell.

The configuration includes 0.35, 0.2, 0.15, 0.1, 0.05 layer resolution with a 0.4 nozzle. It also has PLA and ABS but so far I only tested PLA at the above resolutions. It really takes a lot of time to properly configure this thing.

Posted : 09/01/2017 6:04 pm
Ancientwolf
(@ancientwolf)
Estimable Member

Very nice Matt, thank you!

Yeah, its that guy... 3D Nexus

Posted : 09/01/2017 6:26 pm
Carl
 Carl
(@carl-6)

Thanks Matt!!!
would be so nice if you could share your profile again if you are improving it 🙂

Posted : 14/01/2017 8:21 pm
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

would be so nice if you could share your profile again if you are improving it 🙂

surething!

I mostly print PLA at 0.15 or 0.1 so I concentrate my effort on that, but if there's interest I can keep working on other resolutions and materials. What I don't really like is how the support material is generated, I don't understand if it's just how simplify3d works or if it can be optimized somehow.

Posted : 15/01/2017 10:59 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc-9)
Trusted Member

Thanks very much for your work and for sharing it with us! *thumpsup*

I mostly print PLA at 0.15 or 0.1 so I concentrate my effort on that, but if there's interest I can keep working on other resolutions and materials.

While you are asking:
0.2mm would be nice because if you print bigger objects and don't need 0.15mm layers it takes at least 25% less time for the print. 😉
I think that some settings for PETG would be very interesting because it seems that people are switching from ABS to PETG lately.

Posted : 15/01/2017 3:35 pm
ZARIBO
(@zaribo)
Trusted Member

S3D shows 10 hours for the print but the actual print time takes 16 hours. What is the reason?

I am using Joseph's original FFF settings which are shown below

Posted : 16/01/2017 3:37 pm
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

S3D shows 10 hours for the print but the actual print time takes 16 hours. What is the reason?

some movements are specific to your machine (ie: the prusa firmware) and cannot be guessed by the software. Unfortunately there's very little we can do about it.

Posted : 17/01/2017 7:12 pm
erick.v
(@erick-v)
Estimable Member

The problem is with Simplify3d It has been noted on their website forum by a lot of users that is a shame that Simplify3d is so far off on the times especially considering that other free slicers have more accurate predictions

Posted : 18/01/2017 12:00 am
ZARIBO
(@zaribo)
Trusted Member

I am looking forward for the incoming Prusa Slicer

Posted : 18/01/2017 7:45 am
andreas.s2
(@andreas-s2)
Eminent Member

I got an error while upgrading the firmware

Uncaught node.js Error
Error: EROFS, open './fw.hex' at Error (native)

Can someone help me?

I am using a Mac with Sierra installed.

Posted : 29/01/2017 3:22 pm
Uranday
(@uranday)
Eminent Member

surething!

I mostly print PLA at 0.15 or 0.1 so I concentrate my effort on that, but if there's interest I can keep working on other resolutions and materials. What I don't really like is how the support material is generated, I don't understand if it's just how simplify3d works or if it can be optimized somehow.

I'm very interested. Keep up the good work!

Posted : 08/02/2017 1:53 pm
Matt3o
(@matt3o)
Trusted Member

I've also checked at 0.2 and works wonderfully. Grab it at https://gist.github.com/cubiq/502e171c6ee0f69f47044dbabace829b

Tested PLA: 0.05, 0.1, 0.15 and 0.2. ABS should also work but I haven't checked it yet. Let me know if you print with ABS. I'll be adding more materials as soon as I print with them.

I'm not happy about how small holes are coming out, though. Not sure how/if we can fix it (not strictly related to simplify3d anyway)

Posted : 08/02/2017 8:46 pm
jonn
 jonn
(@jonn)
Eminent Member

I was wondering the same thing and I think it is because S3D calculates the time before the post processing script. The script prolongs the print time by slowing down the speed for some print features, like outer perimeter, inner perimeter and so on.

Thingiverse profile.
Posted : 09/02/2017 11:58 pm
Page 10 / 18
Share: