Notifications
Clear all

Bad kit printed parts?  

RSS
ricardo.s
(@ricardo-s)
Bad kit printed parts?

Hello

I have, in the last days, been amazed with what the Prusa I3 MK2 can do.
Seriously, the kit was one of my happiest experiences building something. And I built a lot of things. The manual is great, the parts packing remind me of Legos instructions. It was a pleasure to build it myself. The printing results were amazing.

The best part was that a I built a perfectly aligned kit (I was very careful having seen the instructions and pitfalls
The first print was already perfect, and I kept printing tryouts from .stl and the shipped .gcodes. Perfect almost every time.
One thing though, the L8MUU are awful. correctly aligned, , but still noisy. I already have markings in my y-axis (couple of days printing).

My problem is that a started noticing a lot of breaking parts. No failures yet, but a lot of parts are snapping. I gradually started to use acetone based glue to stop them from breaking more, but my X-carriage is hanging by a thread.

Posted : 25/02/2017 2:23 am
Chris123
(@chris123)
Re: Bad kit printed parts?

I also really enjoyed building the kit and Im also amazed at how good the Prusa I3 MK2 is performing.

The main problem Ive had is the Z-axis pieces that the Z rods go into that have snapped on the top and the bottom. That was a fairly violent part of the assembly even after I had gouged out a bit of plastic to get it to fit so maybe it was my fault.

It seems to be surviving for now and not affecting my prints but I will have to replace it once I buy some Orange filament. Or can we buy pre printed replacements?

Posted : 25/02/2017 3:08 pm
pj
 pj
(@pj)
Eminent Member

It looks the Prusa factory had a bad ABS filament, it is a common issue, AFAIK. Call their 24/7 help line and ask them. It is a warranty issue.

Posted : 25/02/2017 5:34 pm
StephanK
(@stephank)
Reputable Member

You can buy individual printed parts from prusa: http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printer-parts/70-spare-plastic-part.html

With respect to these broken parts, i'd think this is a warranty case and imho you should be able to get those for free from Prusa. I'd have a chat with prusa (shop page, lower right corner of the screen:

Posted : 25/02/2017 6:25 pm
ricardo.s
(@ricardo-s)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the replies

The rep told me he was looking into it with the team, but my expectation is for new parts. These are cracking one by one, just by printing. I am making an assembly blog post and the initial pictures had no cracks.

The pain is going to be in changing all parts, which amounts to full disassembly/assembly/calibration.

Posted : 26/02/2017 1:10 am
Share: