Notifications
Clear all

Max Temp Error at 260C  

RSS
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Max Temp Error at 260C

was using the Prusa profile for ColorFab XT. it has the starting temp at 260 bed at 90.  the extruder temp tracing on octoprint looked like an EKG, was bouncing all over the place. then hit max temp error. reset printer. advanced some filament through and tried again x3 more times each time the extruder temp is erratic one time going to 280 then back down to 260 then failing.  then another time just as it was about to do homing routine MAX TEMP.  no changes to the printer physically but i dropped  starting temp to 250.  almost linear increase in temp to 250 and held steady. printed object no issues.

failing thermistor? only my 2nd one since I got the original MK2 machine (2016) prior to upgrades to 2/s then 2.5. (but the first one was my fault i broke wires changing a nozzle.)

MK2.5 current firmware (3.91). no mods/changes

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:56 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Max Temp Error at 260C

Have you done a PID tune temp calibration?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 03/12/2020 2:45 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

not in  a long time maybe since first build

Posted : 03/12/2020 2:55 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

just printed another object at 250. then did a few changes to the model sent it to the printer at 260/270 per the standard profile and it printed fine without issues. so weird. multiple failures in a row then lower the temp prints fine now printing well at higher temps

Posted : 03/12/2020 3:37 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@pedaldoc

Higher temperature jumps are often caused by brittle thermistor wires, short circuits or loose or porous plug connections. I would take a closer look at the wires.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:05 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@karl-herbert

I have had this error and this is what caused it for me.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:53 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@cwbullet

which? brittle, loose or short circuited? 

Posted : 03/12/2020 11:36 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@pedaldoc

Simply check the thermistor plug contacts for corrosion and loose fit.
If you have a multimeter, connect it to the thermistor leads on the plug and move the X-axis back and forth a few times. If the display of the multimeter changes, you have a loose contact or a partially broken thermistor line.

If you do not have a measuring device, heat the nozzle and move the X-axis back and forth. The temperature should not change or only change very slightly (1-2 degrees).

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/12/2020 12:28 pm
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

thanks. I do have a multimeter and also have an extra thermistor I bough before. I'll check it and may simply swap them out 

Posted : 03/12/2020 1:56 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@pedaldoc

It would be nice if you could give us some feedback afterwards!

good luck!

Posted : 03/12/2020 2:57 pm
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

will do this evening 

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:17 pm
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @karl-herbert

@pedaldoc

Simply check the thermistor plug contacts for corrosion and loose fit.
If you have a multimeter, connect it to the thermistor leads on the plug and move the X-axis back and forth a few times. If the display of the multimeter changes, you have a loose contact or a partially broken thermistor line.

If you do not have a measuring device, heat the nozzle and move the X-axis back and forth. The temperature should not change or only change very slightly (1-2 degrees).

measured 3.9-4.0 and doesn't change with any movement of cables or movement of the carriage along the x-axis. 

Posted : 04/12/2020 12:46 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

pretty stable at PLA temps but that's never been an issue

Posted : 04/12/2020 1:50 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

printed another PLA model no issues. immediately loaded another PLA model to follow and i got an error 112 maxtemp.

I know this was supposed to be resolved with previous firmware an issue with error 112 and octoprint. could this be another instance of that?

Posted : 04/12/2020 2:51 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

you can see very stable for previous print but when i switched over it appears to have spiked the temp. wondering if this is another octoprint incompatibility?

Posted : 04/12/2020 2:53 am
PedalDoc
(@pedaldoc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

ultimately it started happening more frequently and also without octoprint.

So i replaced my thermistor and redid PID calibration. so far...resolved.

that thermistor had to be drilled out though, it was STUCK.

Posted : 05/12/2020 2:32 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@pedaldoc

Thanks for the feedback!

As I suspected - in 99% of cases the thermistor or wires are the culprit.
I hope you won't have any problems with it for a long time!

happy printing!

Posted : 05/12/2020 7:29 pm
Share: