Clear all

Noob needs help to make the ears attached to a dog's head  

RSS
AnaA
 AnaA
(@anaa)
Noob needs help to make the ears attached to a dog's head

I want to print this bull terrier https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4197379
I keep having the same problem, the ears don't attach properly to the head and when I remove the supports they fall off 
I tried two different supports setup, everywhere and just on the build plate, the result was the same on both.

I'm printing on a prusa mini, 0.15mm and 15% infill, Prusament PLA

Can someone help me figure this out? I don't know if this is a support problem or anything else, I am new to the 3d printing world

Posted : 18/11/2020 2:30 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Noob needs help to make the ears attached to a dog's head

Hi Ana, 

this is an interesting problem.

First I tried to slice this model in the new Prusa Slicer 2.3.0 Alpha3 and FAILED MISERABLY...   Lol... 

the first issue was that Prusa slicer reported errors in the STL.
See the orange triangle hilighted in the top picture on the image below

Once  I clicked on the orange triangle, and let Netfabb complete repairs, I sliced the model, and found vast parts of the dog to be missing...  

I will escalate this with Prusa.... 

SO I switched back to Prusa Slicer 2.2.0 (the latest full release)
as you can see, the Orange triangle is still there... and If I slice the file, the ears are barely connected to the body

However after using netfabb to repair the STL, the lower image shows that the model slices with the ears attached. 

so short response, the STL is faulty...  use netfabb to repair it! (or any tool you prefer)

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 18/11/2020 6:10 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

The ears are not really attached to the dog's head. I loaded the dog into 3D Builder, repaired the file, and it now appears to slice properly - no supports needed.  This image shows the difference:

Repaired STL in this zip file:

low_poly_dog_fixed

Posted : 18/11/2020 7:37 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@tim-m30

Thanks Tim. this is the perpetual problem with Free STL's they are often found to be defective. 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 18/11/2020 8:26 pm
AnaA
 AnaA
(@anaa)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb and @tim-m30, thank you so much for taking the time to explain and even repair the file. I guess these are the things you learn with time and trial/error.

I could see that the sliced image was weird but didn't know more to understand the issue! I didn't know about netfabb or 3D builder, definitely going to check them out.

BTW I still need supports underneath the dobs body right? Supports are my current nightmare right now (trying to learn how to use them) 😆 

Posted : 19/11/2020 8:18 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@ana_azevedo_14

Hi Ana, 
I just printed the dog at 0.2mm layer height, using generic PLA settings and standard supports    the only thing I changes was bed temperature... and the dog printed ok...  
A little bit hairy because the filament I used likes to print a little cooler. 

the print needs support under the chin, belly and tail. 

I was using Prusa slicer 2.3.0 Alpha2.       this insisted on supporting the ears...    which is not necessary. and with only two perimeters one of the legs broke off during support removal...    

the rest of the supports removed easily. 
regards Joan

Posted : 19/11/2020 1:12 pm
AnaA
 AnaA
(@anaa)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb

Really appreciate the time you took to help, this is really interesting and definitely helpful.
The leg coming off is unfortunate ahah I didn't have that problem using the default perimeters settings. 

I'm going to print it today with the stl that @tim-m30 provided and supports only bellow.

Thanks guys!

Posted : 19/11/2020 1:39 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Ana, 

this is a copy of the repaired model, printed with full supports including ears...

using Prusa Slicer 2.2.0
regards Joan

Posted : 19/11/2020 9:17 pm
AnaA
 AnaA
(@anaa)
Topic starter answered:

Looks great! Thanks for the help!

Posted : 24/11/2020 9:16 am
Share: