Notifications
Clear all

Help Fixing These First Layer Issues?  

RSS
NerdyOreo
(@nerdyoreo)
Help Fixing These First Layer Issues?

I'm struggling to dial in the first layer on my Prusa mini. I'm currently set at a Z-Offset of -0.172 and these are my results. If I reduce the offset (-0.171.....) it no longer sticks to the build plate. If I increase the offset (-0.173.....) it continues to look rougher and rougher as you see here. any tips? I'm printing PLA at 215c with a 60c bed temp.

Posted : 23/05/2020 11:56 am
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
RE: Help Fixing These First Layer Issues?

Is that just the first layer? It might be a trick of the camera but the shadows make it look like a very thick first layer. I am not an expert, that said...

• Are you using the standard 0.4mm nozzle?
  • What layer height are you trying to print with in the slicer?
  • In the Tune menu, what is the flow factor?
Posted : 24/05/2020 9:18 pm
NerdyOreo
(@nerdyoreo)
Topic starter answered:

@robee

That is the first layer. And I'm using standard everything. It's also not constant. It happens like every few prints 

Posted : 24/05/2020 11:08 pm
Tesaft
(@tesaft)

Have you had any trouble with under-extrusion and/or fillament getting stuck? My first layers were awful before I fixed the hotend under-extrusion. But if there hasn't been any jamming I'm not sure in your case.

Posted : 25/05/2020 1:00 pm
gmenier
(@gmenier)

Hi ! I've had the same issue. I lowered too much the nozzle because I wanted the first layer to stick (I had trouble with it)

The nozzle is way too low : I have the same artifacts when the z is incorrect.

I suggest to clean the sheet with liquid dish soap + increase temp to 230 and bed to 70 (prusament) and correct the nozzle height.

I can reproduce exactly your issue with my mini, lowering too much the hose.

(don't forget to preheat the minda, it was an important issue for me)

My 2 cents.

Regards 🙂

G.

Posted : 26/05/2020 12:02 pm
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @gates-tyler98

@robee

That is the first layer. And I'm using standard everything. It's also not constant. It happens like every few prints 

This might be the famous Mini under-extrusion issue, that can also look like the nozzle is too low.

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/under-extrusion-over-extrusion-clicking-pilling-inconsistent-layers-clogging-unloading-problems-its-probably-all-the-same-core-issue/

When I first had issues this was the cause and nothing else fixed it.

Posted : 26/05/2020 5:45 pm
Share: