Notifications
Clear all

Beginner: Consistent problems with Filamentum Crystal Clear PLA on Prusa Mini  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Randy
(@randy)
Beginner: Consistent problems with Filamentum Crystal Clear PLA on Prusa Mini

I'm a beginner with a Prusa Mini.  I've done the included prints and starting to venture into other PLAs. 

However, I'm having big problems with one kind of PLA:  Filamentum Crystal Clear.   Here's a link to the Prusa store where I bought it.
https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/filament/221-pla-crystal-clear-iceland-blue-750g.html

The other Prusaments PLAs are just fine.  But this one keeps having consistent problems where you get the "clicking" sound and the nozzle clogs.  I've attached a screenshot of the issue.

I've had this happen two times now.  To clean it out this time, I did a cold pull (my first!). 

I've also seen this reddit thread that talks about the same problem:  https://www.reddit.com/r/FixMyPrint/comments/bvk5fc/struggling_to_print_filamentum_crystal_clear_pla/

This PLA looks *really* cool.  I've gotten one print off of it but 1 out of 3 isn't so good.  Any help for a beginner? 

Best Answer by Dan Rogers:

I have had a learning curve with Filamentum filaments.  There are not profiles for them and there needs to be (I don't know how to make one yet).

The fix for working with Filamentum filaments is lowering the heat-block temperature.  The 215 to 200 range is too hot.  What seems to happen is that heat is too high and the filament softens partially - causing the gears to click.  I first discovered this while printing clear snowflakes - and had the door on my enclosure closed.  That was just enough at the prusa and generic PLA settings to build up too much and the clicking starts within a few minutes.

When you hear the clicking - you can PUSH your way thru the issue.  Current print is probably already too late, but I have saved a few prints this way, manually pushing the filament until the gears engage again.  If the gears are globbed I do advise following gear cleaning procedures after this.  

Try printing your Filamentum filaments with a 205 or 200 degree C max temp.  I have more luck in those temp ranges.  The materials are very nice - but they're just a little softer than Prusament or Generic PLA or Amazon PLA

Posted : 19/07/2020 6:02 pm
RJHUNTER liked
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Beginner: Consistent problems with Filamentum Crystal Clear PLA on Prusa Mini

^^ Also, I'm still on the 4.0.5 firmware and haven't upgraded to the new 4.1.0 stuff (yet). 

I'll upgrade once I obsessively over research every single document I can find about how to do it.

Posted : 19/07/2020 6:06 pm
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Beginner: Consistent problems with Filamentum Crystal Clear PLA on Prusa Mini

I tried another print with the Filamentum Crystal Clear after the cold pull and well... 💩. 

Now it's stuck.  The filament unload doesn't work.  I tried removing the tube (like you do a cold pull) and that didn't work.  I heated it up to 260 to see if it will drip out.  Nope.

💩💩💩

Posted : 19/07/2020 6:47 pm
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:

More 💩.  My filament won't load now.  It just chews up in the extruder.  I think I probably broke something trying to remove the stuck filament. 

Sorry the 💩-fest.  I obviously don't know what I'm doing. 

Posted : 19/07/2020 7:43 pm
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member

@randito

I can't help much with your filament issues but upgrading the firmware is easy: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/firmware-updating-and-flashing-mini_124784

Posted : 19/07/2020 8:20 pm
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the help.  I upgraded the firmware -- 4.1.0 -- but still having issues. 

Apparently, this filament caused a clog into the tubing.  And for the life of me, I can't get it out.  I'll contact support and see if I can't get a replacement.  This glob is *not* coming out. 

Posted : 19/07/2020 8:53 pm
Malcolm
(@malcolm)
Trusted Member

I think that glob clogged you tube because there was a space in your hotenend from the shrinking ptfe tube problem that caused the filament to fill that space and 'grow' then when you tried to pull it out it obviously was too big for your tube.

Your original post looks exactly like the problem I had when I first tried to print with a clear pla, and when I first ran into the clicking issue. I also got a filament stuck on a cold pull, it was stuck at the brass insert that screws into the hotend, after the filament grew from the ptfe tube space, from now on when I do a cold pull I remove the brass from the plastic hotend mount and also remove the inner ptfe tube. 

My "fix" was adjusting the hotend and making sure the ptfe tube was inserted correctly. I had to move mine up by maybe only 1-1.5mm and to my surprise that fixed it. I know it seems strange that a problem that appears to be at the extruder can be fixed at the hotend but you will read time and time again that this is the fix. Excessive pressure in the hotend propagates back to the extruder until failure.

Posted : 20/07/2020 2:27 am
Malcolm
(@malcolm)
Trusted Member

Oh and also clean your extruder gears, I can only imagine they would be filled with pla now

Posted : 20/07/2020 2:31 am
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I finally got my replacement parts in and I'm going to try and do the "fix" for the hotend -- and also replacing the long PTFE tube (with the brass fittings).

I'll post my results to let you know how it goes.  🤞

Posted : 08/08/2020 3:31 pm
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:

Good news:

3dBenchy is printed, short PTFE tube replaced, long PTFE tube replaced.

Cleaned the nozzle with the included acupuncture ping.  Cleaned the nozzle area with a wire brush. 

Bad news:

Totally stripped all of grub screws.  Seriously, how does anyone change those without stripping them?  I hope v2 of the Prusa Mini addresses this.  Why not just use regular M3x6mm with a hex that matches the included hex wrench?

I wasn't able to move the heat blocker (and probe) like I wanted to. 

Lessons Learned:

Stick to the Prusament.  All of this started when I tried some non-Prusa filament (even thought I bought it from the Prusa store). 

I'm feeling more confident with the printer but still frustrated with all the fixes I'm having to do.  I'd rather be printing than waiting on parts. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Randy
Posted : 10/08/2020 1:24 am
Randy
(@randy)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @malcmcm

Oh and also clean your extruder gears, I can only imagine they would be filled with pla now

Thanks.  I've blown the compressed air in the "access panel."  But I haven't taken it apart yet to clean. 

Posted : 10/08/2020 1:29 am
candrage
(@candrage)

Hi, I am beginner too 🙂 But I have the same problem as you. Exactly. Other filaments works, Filamentum Crystal Clear never. I tried to measure diameter and it has something between 1,67 - 1,71 mm. So i tried to use it in Prusa Slicer and first print is ok, without the problem you talk about. 

Posted : 21/08/2020 3:19 pm
Randy liked
Victor
(@victor)

Hi, I already have some experience (about two years using mostly prusa/prusament filaments, both PLA and PET without ever having a serious issue) and now I have exactly the same problem on a Prusa I3 MK3 with the Filamentum crystal clear PLA, it clogs my extruder even with very small and simple parts. I know is not a problem with my printer first because I reviewed every part and second after getting sick of struggling with the filamentum spool I printed the same parts and larger ones (parts that take 1 and a 1/2 days to print) with prusament PLA and everything went smooth.

Posted : 30/08/2020 2:54 pm
Paco Escarpa
(@paco-escarpa)

Hello,

Exactly same issue with green one. Starts Ok, then clicking sound, and no more printing. Try to unload the filamen, unsuccessfully ( grinding filament sound) . I have to unscrew the ptfe tube on the hotend to pull the filament. Then, when retracted to remove, a bit broke in the path, and clogged the extruder, so I have to take apart all pieces to remove it.

One lesson to improve mini's extruder: is nearly impossible to remove a bit in the way from the dented wheel and the loading port. Only with a steel rod you can clean this route.

Returned to prusament successfully, but threatened ...

Regards.

Posted : 17/12/2020 10:50 pm
MaxGyver
(@maxgyver-2)

Hi! I have the same problem with "Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Crystal Clear Iceland Blue". Clogging at random times into the print. (5 min to 1,5 hours). Tried with 238°C. Same result.

Posted : 04/01/2021 8:30 pm
Ryswick
(@ryswick)

Yes, reporting the exact same problem. Luckily I've been able to unload the filament without it "globing" up in my PTFE tube.

Posted : 22/01/2021 8:23 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@ryswick

I will try it tonight.  I have a roll waiting unopened.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/01/2021 9:31 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

I have had a learning curve with Filamentum filaments.  There are not profiles for them and there needs to be (I don't know how to make one yet).

The fix for working with Filamentum filaments is lowering the heat-block temperature.  The 215 to 200 range is too hot.  What seems to happen is that heat is too high and the filament softens partially - causing the gears to click.  I first discovered this while printing clear snowflakes - and had the door on my enclosure closed.  That was just enough at the prusa and generic PLA settings to build up too much and the clicking starts within a few minutes.

When you hear the clicking - you can PUSH your way thru the issue.  Current print is probably already too late, but I have saved a few prints this way, manually pushing the filament until the gears engage again.  If the gears are globbed I do advise following gear cleaning procedures after this.  

Try printing your Filamentum filaments with a 205 or 200 degree C max temp.  I have more luck in those temp ranges.  The materials are very nice - but they're just a little softer than Prusament or Generic PLA or Amazon PLA

Posted : 26/01/2021 10:35 pm
discohomer and Randy liked
Alex Hung
(@alex-hung)
Estimable Member

According to Fillamentum data sheet for Extra Fill, print temperature is between 190-210C so 200 sounds reasonable starting point. Also noted the printing speed range is 30-40 mm/min which is rather low for the top speed.

Posted : 27/01/2021 1:48 am
Lupin liked
discohomer
(@discohomer)

I have recently purchased a roll of the Filamentum Crystal Clear and after experiencing exactly the same problems people have been discussing here, it prompted me to do some experimentation. The part I was having problems with was essentially a cylinder printing in vase mode. I double checked tension on the feed gears and reduced temperature from 215 degrees to 185 degrees in 10 degree increments. Results got progressively worse. I decided to try raising the temperature to 225 degrees (all other settings as per 0.15mm 'quality' settings), the first attempt at this temperature came out perfectly. I realise this is contrary to the experience of others, but it sounds like this filament can be a bit fussy and needs some tweaking of the standard settings to work reliably.

This post was modified 3 years ago by discohomer
Posted : 22/02/2021 12:45 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: