Notifications
Clear all

z-axis motor heats up quite a bit  

RSS
Melanie
(@melanie)
z-axis motor heats up quite a bit

Hi Everyone,

I'm just curius if this is normal. My z-axis motor becomes quite warm while printing and I wanted to know what temperatures are normal or acceptable. I also checked x and y and they are definitely cooler than the z-axis.

Since my room will probably get warmer in the coming summer weeks I wonder if this can become a problem for the printer? At the moment I have something around 25°C to 27°C room temperature.

Posted : 30/06/2020 1:30 pm
3Dprintedgr
(@3dprintedgr)
Estimable Member
RE: z-axis motor heats up quite a bit

Its pretty normal since the Z axis is constantly moving during retraction for most materials and also keeps the whole assembly steady. You could use a heatsink if that made you feel better but its not necessary since the temperatures that it reaches are normal.

Original Prusa Mini + Smooth PEI
Prusa Slicer 2.6.0

Posted : 05/07/2020 3:28 pm
Melanie
(@melanie)
Topic starter answered:

@geoper2

Thanks for the info, I will monitor the temperature a bit. I still have a spare heatsink from a cpu that I could repurpose if it gets worse.

Posted : 07/07/2020 11:44 am
Maker1127
(@maker1127)

Stepper motors actually tend to consume more current when not moving than when they are moving. Since the z motor moves the least (and when it does, it moves very little), it makes sense for it to get pretty warm.

Posted : 22/07/2020 8:35 pm
Share: