Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] X Axis Layer Shift  

RSS
ruzeki
(@ruzeki)
X Axis Layer Shift

First printing machine for me - the Prusa Mini sold me on it's promise for less fussing and more product making. However second day with it, while generally printing really nicely, I begun noticing X Axis layer shift.

I looked around for people who have had similar problems and found CyberCriminal69's Reddit post seem to match. TLDR - The cause for their X Axis Shift was the grub nut on the belt drive gear coming loose.

I can't see without pulling the machine apart if this is my problem for the X axis however I checked the Y Axis and I saw the rod flat is not lining up with the nut (see below).

Questions:

1. How do I assess & fix X Axis layer shift on the Prusa Mini and...

2. Is the Y Axis Grub screw misaligned, if so what is the correct process to fix it?

Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer by Nameless2nd:

You can tighten the grub screw on the x axis without disassembly. There's a little hole on the top side of the printed part just behind the x stepper. Insert a fitting hex key (can't remember the size, same one as on y) and carefully turn the stepper by pulling slowly on the belt till the key catches the screw.

The grub screws should align with the flat side, just loosen the screw a bit and fix it on the flat side again.

Posted : 13/02/2020 8:36 am
Nameless2nd
(@nameless2nd)
RE: X Axis Layer Shift

You can tighten the grub screw on the x axis without disassembly. There's a little hole on the top side of the printed part just behind the x stepper. Insert a fitting hex key (can't remember the size, same one as on y) and carefully turn the stepper by pulling slowly on the belt till the key catches the screw.

The grub screws should align with the flat side, just loosen the screw a bit and fix it on the flat side again.

Posted : 13/02/2020 11:56 am
ruzeki
(@ruzeki)
Topic starter answered:

Solved! 

Both Axis has been tightened - I also realigned the Y axis screws onto the flat side of the rod. Hopefully X axis was already aligned on the rod and just needed tightening, I'll never know until I dissasemble it...

Thank you Nameless2nd! It prints flawlessly!

Posted : 15/02/2020 8:58 am
br3ttb
(@br3ttb)

This corrected my shift issue as well.  In my case, I expect that the screw loosened over time.  I was starting to experience shifts on larger prints with lots of moves. 1/4 turn of a 2mm allen key, and they're gone. 

More than that, though.  That wiggle between the stepper and pulley was slightly shifting everything, without me noticing.  I guess it degraded so slowly that I forgot how good the print quality can be!  each layer is now EXACTLY on top of the one below it, not +/- 0.05 mm.

This post was modified 3 years ago by br3ttb
Posted : 12/05/2021 11:54 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

OMG - that photo shows the set screw on the shaft round. The set screw MUST be on the shaft flat.

Posted : 13/05/2021 12:03 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@ruzeki

I think we have all done this.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 13/05/2021 12:18 am
br3ttb
(@br3ttb)

OMG - that photo shows the set screw on the shaft round. The set screw MUST be on the shaft flat.

My y-axis pulley has 2 screws 90 degrees apart.  It's a little tough to be sure from the picture, but I think I see ruzeki's second screw above the flat

Posted : 13/05/2021 10:44 am
Share: