Notifications
Clear all

X and Y axis resonating noise  

RSS
hladky.miroslav
(@hladky-miroslav)
X and Y axis resonating noise

Hello, I have Prusa MINI with printed aprox. 30 hours and while printing, the X and Y axes are making "resonating sound". I checked srews and belts and everything is tightened properly. 

Does anybody face this problem?

The video of printing:

Thank you for your help

Posted : 04/08/2020 6:25 pm
herbert
(@herbert)
Estimable Member
RE: X and Y axis resonating noise

Mine sounds the same, not always but I think depending on the speed its moving.

Anyhow, I just started to live with it, but would be interesting why and if something can be done. Have you already asked Prusa support?

Posted : 17/08/2020 12:44 pm
Malcolm
(@malcolm)
Trusted Member

Mine sounds the same, sounds worse at high speeds and repetitive movements. I've narrowed down the loudest sound to the X axis bearing at the end of the arm (floating side). I've ordered a few extra bearings from Prusa since It's starting to sound pretty nasty and would probably need replacing eventually. I think I'll also oil the bearing when I have time. FWIW loosening the tension on the x axis belt helps reduce the sound.

Posted : 18/08/2020 1:29 am
4nthonylin
(@4nthonylin)
Eminent Member

I found the resonating sound to be due mostly due to the vibrations transmitting to the surface of the printer. You can test it by putting it on the floor and check to see if that solves the issue. I printed these: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/34936 and my printer is near silent now. The loudest parts is the retraction and cooling fan now.

Posted : 18/08/2020 2:09 am
herbert liked
trigger from DK
(@trigger-from-dk)

when i press on the electronic box the sound stop.. I guess it must be because of the surface it stands on. 

Posted : 19/08/2020 4:42 pm
Beg_Prus
(@beg_prus)

Sounds similar to mine, it appears to come from certain positions of the Y-Axis. Different surfaces or holding/pressing certain parts does not appear to make it any better. And yeah, the faster it gets the more prominent the noise. Would be grateful for other suggestions!

Posted : 11/03/2022 10:00 am
Balazs
(@balazs)
RE:

Posted by: @hladky-miroslav

Hello, I have Prusa MINI with printed aprox. 30 hours and while printing, the X and Y axes are making "resonating sound". I checked srews and belts and everything is tightened properly. 

Does anybody face this problem?

Thank you for your help

I have the same sound mostly during solid infill layers. I think the metallic resonating sound during X axis movement (and sometimes even Y) is coming from the print fan behind the X axis. Try it out to grab it firmly while allowing it to move left and right during a test print (not to loose anything). Maybe you can try to screw it a bit tighter - but it would be nice to have a better solution to that.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Balazs
Posted : 18/04/2022 5:40 am
Balazs
(@balazs)
RE:

Or maybe not... I've tested the X axis offline moving back and forward and now I think that the hotend heatsink or something attached to it picking up some resonance from the bearings during movement in some speeds and other factors.

What I'm trying at the moment is - adding 2 silicone DIY washers in between the 2 parts (click to picture to see the whole thing):

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Balazs
Posted : 19/04/2022 10:12 pm
Balazs
(@balazs)

Just for the record - this modification works fine.

Posted : 25/04/2022 9:44 pm
Share: