Notifications
Clear all

What causes burnt looking boogers?  

RSS
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
What causes burnt looking boogers?

Does anyone know what causes these dirty snotty bits to appear in prints? I get them in PETG and PLA and it doesn't seem to matter if it's Prusament or other filament brands. If I clean the hotend with cleaning filament the problem is okay for a while but soon appears. I am using a silicone sock (with PID autotuning).

Posted : 16/08/2020 8:59 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
RE: What causes burnt looking boogers?

Scorched remnants of filament dropping or pulling off of the hot end and onto the print.

I've gotten in the habit of brushing off the nozzle just prior to all (well, most), prints.

I've heard them called 'boogers', 'turds', and 'dingleberries' at times.

Posted : 16/08/2020 9:16 am
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I thought this was what caused it, but I'm not sure why they get on the hot end to start with and how I can stop it from happening. The nozzle is clean when I start but I guess the boogers come from stringing?

Posted : 16/08/2020 1:16 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Remove the silicone sock and possibly the part cooling fan shroud so you can get a good look at the full heater block. Verify there is no filament built up on the block, and particularly none leaking out the top of the heater block (esp. if you've switched nozzles recently). That indicates the nozzle is likely not properly tightened. Clean the block off as necessary, being careful around the delicate wires. Use a soft brass wire brush, or even a small strip of cardboard. Toothpicks can be handy around the wires. Try to keep the block and nozzle clean as you do regular maintenance. I clean mine whenever swapping nozzles.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 16/08/2020 5:24 pm
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I tightened my nozzle just in case, and cleaned it, but I wonder if this is the retraction settings causing little dribbles that get pushed onto the nozzle during printing and then slowly burn. 🤔 Thank you for the suggestions!

Posted : 16/08/2020 9:53 pm
Share: