Clear all

Usb seems empty after reboot  

RSS
Antti
(@antti)
Eminent Member
Usb seems empty after reboot

Hi!

I have a question. After booting the Mini with the USB stick attached, the machine does not list the models in the USB stick. After unplugging and plugging the stick in again, then the models are shown. The stick works and the Mini prints just fine, only thing is that the listing is empty initially.

Normal behavior, or something wrong with the stick or machine?

It’s not a big deal thou, usually I need to plug the stick in after slicing anyway.

Best Answer by JoanTabb:

Hi Antti, 

there have been many reports of odd behaviour with USB memory sticks in the Mini... 

do you have a different memory stick to try?

regards Joan

Posted : 09/01/2021 2:23 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Usb seems empty after reboot

Hi Antti, 

there have been many reports of odd behaviour with USB memory sticks in the Mini... 

do you have a different memory stick to try?

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 09/01/2021 4:24 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @antti

Hi!

I have a question. After booting the Mini with the USB stick attached, the machine does not list the models in the USB stick. After unplugging and plugging the stick in again, then the models are shown. The stick works and the Mini prints just fine, only thing is that the listing is empty initially.

Normal behavior, or something wrong with the stick or machine?

It’s not a big deal thou, usually I need to plug the stick in after slicing anyway.

The USB stick in the metal case supplied by Prusa was defective on my Mini after about a week. First, it was always very warm and a short time later it was no longer recognized. The stick was defective and was also no longer recognized on any PC. After changing to a higher quality stick (Sandisk), I now have no more problems printing and flashing the firmware. I have also moved the USB slot to a more accessible location.

On the picture you can still see the original, defective Prusa stick, which has since been replaced.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 09/01/2021 7:17 pm
Antti
(@antti)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I tried using a Kingston Datatraveler instead of the supplied usb key, and noticed following:

- after reboot, the print menu is enabled very quickly

- the print menu now contains the prints.

So it indeed was because of the usb stick I used 🙂 

I tried to reformat the both of the sticks the same way, but the Kingston one works better and the supplied usb key behaves slower. 

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 10/01/2021 1:31 pm
RickM
(@rickm)
Eminent Member

It's worth completely replacing the metal usb stick that comes with the mini, the failure rate on them is absurdly high. I'm guessing they're just a bulk unbranded generic memory chip as the read/write speeds on them are awful. 

Mine had issues randomly wiping files, failing to mount, randomly becoming read-only, etc. In 3dPrintingNerds review follow up on the mini its something he mentioned being an issue, and the comments are full of tens of people who've had the usb drive fail.

I grabbed a cheapo 8gb kingston one from Amazon for £5 which has worked well.

Proud owner of an original Prusa Mendel i2, original wooden frame i3 and now a mini+

Posted : 14/01/2021 4:28 pm
Share: