Notifications
Clear all

Squeek on Z axis just in one area and only when going down  

RSS
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Squeek on Z axis just in one area and only when going down

My mini arrived about two and a half weeks ago (it feels much longer I've used it so much!) and has been printing beautifully, after I fixed the super common extruding issue relating to the bowden tube anyway.

After the first week it developed a horrible noise when it reaches part of the Z-axis, but only for about 1cm of travel, and only when moving downwards.

I've cleaned the two rods on either side and added the lubricant that came with it, but the manual doesn't say what I should do about any lubricant on the centre curly wurly rod so I've just wiped that with a paper towel.

A link to a video on dropbox is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9tf933dawla54p/IMG_2845.mov?dl=0

Is this bad? How do I stop it? It doesn't seem to affect prints that I can see, but it's unpleasant to hear when it's preparing to calibrate things or going home.

Any advice would be lovely!

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Robeena Shepherd
Posted : 11/03/2020 9:54 pm
jweaver
(@jweaver)
Honorable Member
RE: Squeek on Z axis just in one area and only when going down

Mine does this when the Z axis lowers to the bottom after a tall print.

i recently added some ligth clock oil to the threaded bar and i havnt noticed it for a while.. so try oiling the threads..

Posted : 11/03/2020 10:19 pm
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@jweaver

I'm glad it isn't just mine! Thank you.

Is it safe to oil them? I wasn't sure, they don't seem to mention any maintenance for the thread, which is strange, surely there must be something you should do with what looks like a super important part.

Posted : 11/03/2020 10:22 pm
jweaver
(@jweaver)
Honorable Member

I have oiled my MK3 many times.. as long as you don't got overboard with the oil, I can't see it doing any harm.

I just used some very light "clock oil" that i have had for 20+ years, a PTFE based lube might be better.. At the end of the day its only a threaded bar.. I cant see a bit of light oil doing any harm.. It certainly stopped my 'squeek'.

Posted : 11/03/2020 10:32 pm
jaydubblazer
(@jaydubblazer)
Trusted Member

Mine did the exact same thing.  I thought maybe it was something to do with the threaded rod rubbing on the hole at the bottom.  If you watch it there is about a mil clearance and as the x axis gets into range of making the grinding noise is appears that it rubs on the left side.  I’ve moved it up and down with my finger keeping the thread centered and the noise and the sensation of a vibration went away. 

JayDub
Weened on MK3's at work, FrakenMini and MKs at home.

Posted : 12/03/2020 1:35 am
Robeena Shepherd
(@robeena-shepherd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @jaydubblazer

Mine did the exact same thing.  I thought maybe it was something to do with the threaded rod rubbing on the hole at the bottom.  If you watch it there is about a mil clearance and as the x axis gets into range of making the grinding noise is appears that it rubs on the left side.  I’ve moved it up and down with my finger keeping the thread centered and the noise and the sensation of a vibration went away. 

I just tried this and I see (or don't hear) the same thing. I have some lithium grease coming on Monday, I might just try squirting some of that in the bit near the bottom and see if it makes the noise go away.

Posted : 12/03/2020 8:02 pm
Share: