Notifications
Clear all

Rounding allen screws for the heatbreak  

RSS
pru-140
(@pru-140)
Rounding allen screws for the heatbreak

Hi,

I've been having problems with clogs below the PTFE tube even after changing the tube. At this point I've tried most things except moving the heatbreak higher up which is the next thing I want to try but I can't loosen it because the three screws holding it just get rounded when I try to unscrew them.

I don't want to get too aggressive with it since they are so small and I'm worried I might break something but I'm telling you, that dremel is starting to look real inviting by now.

Does anyone here have experience with this issue and can provide some tips? 

The screws in question:

Best Answer by Alex Hung:

Cyclist has similar problem, rounding lower quality/soft hex bolt.

One solution is to find a smaller Torx key that will fit inside the hex bolt. Make sure the Torx key is of good quality and not make of soft alloy. Then very gently apply torque and hopefully you should be able to loosen the hex bolt.

If you succeed, replace with strong alloy bolts!

Posted : 07/11/2020 12:49 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Rounding allen screws for the heatbreak

Use the flat end of an allen key not the rounded end. 

Make sure the allen key is not damaged
push firmly into the root of the socket and turn whilst applying inward pressure

If you succeed in moving the screws, consider replacing them with standard Cap head screws, they are much easier to remove later... 

some folk press the allen key through an elastic band or baloon, to improve grip... 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/11/2020 4:23 pm
pru-140 liked
Alex Hung
(@alex-hung)
Estimable Member

Cyclist has similar problem, rounding lower quality/soft hex bolt.

One solution is to find a smaller Torx key that will fit inside the hex bolt. Make sure the Torx key is of good quality and not make of soft alloy. Then very gently apply torque and hopefully you should be able to loosen the hex bolt.

If you succeed, replace with strong alloy bolts!

Posted : 07/11/2020 6:37 pm
Alex Hung
(@alex-hung)
Estimable Member

If you decide to break out the Dremel, it may be better to file the bolt head square so you can use a plier or wrench to loose them (vs drilling out the whole tiny bolt)

Posted : 07/11/2020 6:39 pm
pru-140
(@pru-140)
Topic starter answered:

@alexhung

Torx key worked wonders, thank you! 🙂

I'm gonna look for new screws for the future since these where very soft and I wouldn't be surprised if even the torx stopped gripping after a while.

Posted : 08/11/2020 12:25 am
Alex Hung liked
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

I wonder how many pennies saved by using poor quality screws?

Posted : 08/11/2020 1:27 pm
pru-140
(@pru-140)
Topic starter answered:

@towlerg

Yeah, I put in three better quality M3 screws now which cost me about 1 USD, I can't imagine that's something they need to conserve costs on.

Posted : 08/11/2020 3:36 pm
rockytoptim
(@rockytoptim)
Trusted Member

@pru-140

I did the same thing. 

Posted : 10/11/2020 5:57 am
Share: