Prusa Slicer T° set to 215°C...but PrusaMini screen indicates 170°C after print command(?)

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Prusa Slicer T° set to 215°C...but PrusaMini screen indicates 170°C after print command(?)  

RSS
sylvain-t2
(@sylvain-t2)
Trusted Member
Prusa Slicer T° set to 215°C...but PrusaMini screen indicates 170°C after print command(?)

Hello guys,

Being obliged to stay home, I don't travel anymore so I assembled and tested my Prusa Mini.

Using pla Prusament black Galaxy, The Benchy on given memory stick went out just perfect: guys, you made a great job into this printer design.

(well, Z calibration is not obvious and could be a bit more explained in the handbook, but I understood and all went great)

I installed the last firmware available after assembly operation : 4.0.4

Then, I installed last version of prusa slicer and tried to print one personnal design. I saved the G-code on Prusa USB mem stick, plugged it back to the printer. I selected the file to print...but the display shows extruder Temp = 170°C!!!

I aborted and rechecked everything into PrusaSlicer: the temperature set for PLA is 215 °C ...so I sliced again, saved again, and ...Same issue on the Prusa Mini!

So meanwhile bed heating and extruder heating were in progress, I modify the extruder temperature manually (raising from 170° to 215°C)

But I guess this is not normal way to operate.

So , any tips and trick would be appreciated

Tanks in advance and best regards

Sylvain

This topic was modified 4 years ago by sylvain-t2

J'essaye de faire, mesurer et partager...plus pratique que théorique, peu de blabla, des résultats… La preuve incombe à celui qui affirme….en faisant et mesurant

Posted : 20/03/2020 10:15 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Prusa Slicer T° set to 215°C...but PrusaMini screen indicates 170°C after print command(?)

Welcome Sylvain. 

I don't have a Prusa Mini, however, Looking at the Start Gcode, I note .... 

G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; extruder relative mode
M104 S170 ; set extruder temp for bed leveling    >>> this line sets the extruder to a low temperature during heat up, to reduce fialment dribbling
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temp
M109 R170 ; wait for bed leveling temp
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
G28 ; home all without mesh bed level
G29 ; mesh bed leveling
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temp>>> this line sets the extruder to the desired temperature after mesh Bed Levelling
G92 E0.0
G1 Y-2.0 X179 F2400
G1 Z3 F720
M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp>>> this line Waits for the extruder to reach temperature before starting printing

; intro line
G1 X170 F1000
G1 Z0.2 F720
G1 X110.0 E8.0 F900
G1 X40.0 E10.0 F700
G92 E0.0

M221 S95 ; set flow  >>> this line sets the extruder flow rate to a slightly lower value, to reduce over extrusion

I hope the notes in RED, help

run the print again, but HAVE FAITH!  it will come to the correct temperature...   🙂
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 20/03/2020 10:58 am
sylvain-t2
(@sylvain-t2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
Hurrah: you are perfectly right! What about some dimensions accuracy issues then?

@joantabb

Hello Joan,

Thanks to your detailed response, I checked the generated G-code from PrusaSlicer, and found almost same structure as per your description.

So I prayed and pushed the print button...and everything went as per your description! Perfect.

Lot of thanks for this!

So may I submit another question/concern to you please? 

Here it is: I designed a simple testing part, which I used on any new printer I bought It is a basic square shape (external side = 50mm) combined with a Ø 40 mm cylinder. Purpose is to check quickly printed sizes accuracy on X and Y axis  (phots attached). And here are my findings

Using a digital 25-50 mm micrometer I can measure this:

For external square shape measurements are 49,71mm (X) and 49,72mm (Y)

For the external cylinder Ø, measurements are: 39,60 mm (X) and 39,63 mm(Y)

So 2 comments: X and Y are pretty consistent each other. However dimensions are significantly bellow those defined into CAD file, with at least 0,3 mm missing.

So I have to find now where/how to correct this.

So far with other 3D printer brand I was using a simplify3D script with M92 command line to correct axis accuracy . I used the excellent XYZ calibrator described by  Danish 3D Printing  on Thingiverse (link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2474201 )

Youtube:

I don't know if this is the same approach on Prusa, I will have to look at this during forthcoming days..

But, if you have some advices to give me regarding this...you are welcome! 😊 😊 😊

Thank you again for your detailed response to my first temperature concern!

Best regards from France!

Sylvain

J'essaye de faire, mesurer et partager...plus pratique que théorique, peu de blabla, des résultats… La preuve incombe à celui qui affirme….en faisant et mesurant

Posted : 20/03/2020 4:32 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Prusa Slicer T° set to 215°C...but PrusaMini screen indicates 170°C after print command(?)

Unfortunately Silvain, I don't have a mini, and I haven't noticed this error on my mk2 or mk3

Could I suggest you try another print before you change anything... 

Make a model  100 x 100mm   if the problem is a scaling problem, the new print should end up 0.6mm undersize. if it ends up say 0.3 mm undersize, again, then the cause is probably something else.

it is really important to make  sure that you are actually correcting something that needs correcting rather than introducing new inaccuracies that change this particular measurement but cause problems elsewhere...  

Have you measured the wall thickness and compared it with the expected wall thickness?

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 20/03/2020 6:58 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Just few days ago I read some article about overlaying print lines each other so having a 0.4mm diameter nozzle you cannot simply multiply 0.4mm times integer number and you will get the exact size you want. So this can lead that you will not get always the size you want.

Some remedy can reached setting the parameter print external perimeters first in PrusaSlicer.

It is somewhere on help.prusa3d.com

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 21/03/2020 6:54 am
sylvain-t2
(@sylvain-t2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
I do have dimension mismatch issue: I open a new topic

Hello Guys,

So I wen back to printing some test parts and made some measurements on them. 

I do have some dimensions differences on my Prusa Mini

But because this is complete another findings than the first one (temperature displayed) I open a new topic here, should you be interested (and helpful!) into this one...

Best regards

Sylvain

Posted : 21/03/2020 3:06 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Good Luck, 

Regards Joan

Posted : 21/03/2020 3:19 pm
sylvain-t2
(@sylvain-t2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:
New topic for dimensions adjustment

Hello Joan

My data are here: 

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/prusa-mini-difference-between-cad-sizes-and-printed-sizes-both-x-y-and-z-any-correction-through-m92-command-on-prusa-slicer/

I will find a way because I'm convinced the Mini can produce far better accurate parts from dimensional point of view.

So I will update above mentioned new topic on this.

By the way, hope you can take care of yourself regarding COVID 19, because looks like to be a real danger this one...

Best regards from France

Sylvain

Posted : 21/03/2020 5:14 pm
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Trusted Member

The Mini does it mesh leveling at 170 then parks and sets the temperature to the setting you selected for your print. Once it has reached the printing temperature it will start printing.

Posted : 22/03/2020 10:23 pm
Share: