Notifications
Clear all

Original Mini X axis travel issue  

RSS
Steve
(@steve-17)
Original Mini X axis travel issue

Hello,

I have an Original Mini, only 3-4 months old.  Was working fine, but now, during normal startup or during calibration, the X axis carriage/motor makes a terrible buzzing noise as the carriage get to the right side of its travel.  For some reason, the end of travel is not being detected.

The carriage moves freely without power to both stops.  There is no obstruction to travel from the little tie wraps.  Lubrication of the rods had no effect. 

The printer seems to work fine once the buzzing stops after ~4 seconds.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Best regards,

Steve

Posted : 26/01/2021 6:24 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Original Mini X axis travel issue

Adding 1/27/2021:  I have checked the set screw holding the gear onto the x axis motor, with a 2 mm allen wrench.  The set screw is tight.

Posted : 27/01/2021 5:38 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@steve-41

If there is no mechanical damage or defect, a factory reset followed by a new firmware flash often helps. If there is no mechanical damage or defect, a factory reset followed by a new firmware flash often helps. You can either try the current 4.2.1 or the 4.3.0 RC2.

4.3.0 RC2

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 27/01/2021 6:45 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:

@Karl-Herbert,

Thank you very much!  Interestingly, factory reset did not help, because the X-axis self test failed.  But reflashing the firmware, with 4.2.1 seems to have solved the problem.

Best regards,

Steve-41 😆 

Posted : 27/01/2021 7:22 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:

Hi, spoke too soon.  Original problem is still present.  Self Test fails on X axis.  I would include the picture, but some problem with uploading the media.

Any additional advice appreciated.

Steve-41

Posted : 28/01/2021 7:09 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@steve-41

hi Steve, 

if you have the bottom of the text input window in view on your screen, you should be able to drag pictures into the bottom of the text window, the window should change colour, grey shows you are near the right place, Blue means you are in the correct position to drop the picture

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 28/01/2021 8:05 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@steve-41

I would make a video and contact the prusachat. To do this, log in with your prusaaccount and select the eshop. After a few seconds, the chat window should appear in the bottom right corner.

There could also be a defect of the buddyboard.
Have you checked the belt tension and pulley? Is the screw of the belt pulley well tightened?

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 28/01/2021 10:00 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:

Posted : 28/01/2021 10:38 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:

Hi All,

@joantabb, thanks, think I figured out the drag and drop.

@Karl-Herbert; so I have sent a video to Prusa, I'm trying to edit it to attach here so you can see what happens.

I'll try the PrusaChat again; I was not able to find that previously.  Interestingly, I did check the screw which secures the x-axis pulley; it was a little loose...I was able to turn it about 720 degrees to fully tightened.  I then ran the self test, and the x-axis passed!  Yet, when I went to make another print, the same problem reoccurred, as shown here in the video (which hopefully is attached properly).

Your thoughts appreciated.

Steve-41

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/20210126_095519.mp4

Posted : 28/01/2021 11:31 pm
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:

https://forum.prusa3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Prusa_X_axis_Fail-2.mp4

Hope this works.

Attachment removed
Posted : 29/01/2021 12:08 am
Steve
(@steve-17)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Original Mini X axis travel issue-Fixed!

Hi All,

So, following advice, I was online with the Prusa Chat for a couple of hours last eve.  It was interesting; first, resetting and recalibrating seemed to eliminate the problem, but after turning the printer off and then on again, the problem recurred!  Very odd.

Ultimately, I'm happy to report that following a reflash of the firmware with the latest version, 4.3.0 (the latest) and running the selftest, etc. the printer seems to be working correctly, with no issue.  And the problem has not recurred following power cycling either!  So, I think its back in business.

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions!

Steve-41

Posted : 29/01/2021 5:52 pm
Turro75
(@turro75)
Estimable Member

X test mostly fails if the distance between X end to Z carriage is too short or too long, mine work fine and is 209mm.

Posted : 29/01/2021 8:57 pm
Jackie
(@jackie)

I am having the exact same issue with mine.  I have only had it for not even a month.  I installed the latest update and still did not resolve the problem.  Any ideas?

Posted : 15/02/2021 9:29 pm
Mike Gann
(@mike-gann)

I had the same problem on my MINI.    The issue would occur when I would power up the MINI and the printer display would indicate NO USB.

I would then re-insert the drive and the MINI would then detect it.  After I selected a file to print, the printer would drive the X axis all the way to the right and buzz against the stop just like the video above.    As long as the MINI detects the USB on boot up, there is no issue.  I have made it a routine to have the Prusa provided USB in the MINI whenever I power the printer up.  The NO USB error only shows up randomly on boot up on my other USB drives that I have purchased which are Memorex.  I use 32 or 16 GB USBs.  I don't recall if the problem occurred with the 16 or 32 GB drives or both.  Following a successful boot up, the MINI reads the other USB drives just fine.

Since I have followed this routine, this issue has not happened for many months now.

Mike Gann

Posted : 16/02/2021 6:36 am
Alen
 Alen
(@alen)

Well your Problem is actually simple one 😉 End stop on X Axis is terrible... To be more clear it is printed one and this type of X axis design is really delicate and you need to have it tight (screws that are clamping rods) If it is not it will wobble and threw your nozzle out of the straight line and have fun 😉 On the other hand if you make it thigh to hold itself in place then you will be facing issues as you have described since printed end stop is not 100% perfect like one that mold edjected is (same as base front and rear on Mini Plus). I am still figuring out why did Prusa did this.... It is at most pathetic.... Like the temporary part that you would print and use till your actual replacement comes if broken 😉 End Stop of X axis is unbelievably important for this machine since it so easy to decenter it and it will have huge effect on print.... While writing this I am having this issue after upgrading to IGUS rod sliders (could not bear that rattling noise from metal bearings anymore) If I lose those 2 clamping screws all is great test fine, but if I tighten them to hold rods in place....well you can kiss the TEST godbye :D. You will not see this with metal bearings because they are spinning and destroying themselves and rods slowly but it works (till either you, your wife goes crazy or till it just stops...) On IGUS you see this immediately due to friction and not rolling... As soon as you reach end of X axis rods are deformed by clamping force ( rods are being brought together more than they should be) and friction is too strong and you will not be able to reach the end.... Prusa please give us mold edjected  End Stop for Mini so we can buy them as upgrade since this makes no sense. As soon as I touch my hotend I need to recalibrate due to this end stop design and way it is being produced... It is simply not reliable and it MUST be upgraded, same as you discovered and did with front and back plates 😉 It would be easier for you and other solution would involve drilling those rods parallel to each other on both sides and fixing them together to keep the parallel distance between them. But that is definitely something you are 10000% NOT going to do and it makes sense why 😉 BTW I am making a List for Prusa Mini 3 XD

Posted : 16/12/2021 10:09 pm
Share: