Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] filament sensor - does it work?  

RSS
WillDeed
(@willdeed)
filament sensor - does it work?

I recently ran through my first spool of filament on the MINI, and I was expecting the filament sensor to pause the print once the last of the filament reached the sensor, but it didn't. It kept printing, even after the end of the filament reached the extruder and then it just stopped extruding. The print carried on with no filament being extruded.

Has anyone had their print paused successfully by the filament sensor? Is there a way for me to test whether it's a bad sensor or if the sensor is somehow installed incorrectly?

Also, I typically start my prints via an octoprint connection - does that make any difference on how the filament sensor functions? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure what else would be the problem.

Best Answer by Gordon W:

Filament sensor doesn't work with OctoPrint https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/issues/739

Posted : 25/10/2020 5:04 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member
RE: filament sensor - does it work?

I can confirm that it works for filament runout, also detects when filament is loaded during filament change procedure. This is for standalone printer though. I have a distant feeling in case you use Octoprint, filament runout sensor needs to be connected to computer (RPi or so) instead of printer, but please don't quote me on that, better let somebody who uses Octoprint chime in.

But in any case, verify first whether sensor is working with your printer as is, without Octoprint. If you push filament in, you should feel the steel ball getting pushed. Check whether you had not tighten the screw holding PTFE tube too much preventing lever to freely move, whether sensor  is connected to Buddy board properly, and enabled in Settings.

Posted : 25/10/2020 5:23 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @willdeed

I recently ran through my first spool of filament on the MINI, and I was expecting the filament sensor to pause the print once the last of the filament reached the sensor, but it didn't. It kept printing, even after the end of the filament reached the extruder and then it just stopped extruding. The print carried on with no filament being extruded.

Has anyone had their print paused successfully by the filament sensor? Is there a way for me to test whether it's a bad sensor or if the sensor is somehow installed incorrectly?

Also, I typically start my prints via an octoprint connection - does that make any difference on how the filament sensor functions? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure what else would be the problem.

The filament sensor works correctly on my Mini, but only after I made changes in the firmware (signal inverted). But this is probably because I installed a LED control in the sensor housing.

I currently do not use Octoprint.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 25/10/2020 6:28 pm
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member

Filament sensor doesn't work with OctoPrint https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/issues/739

Posted : 25/10/2020 8:44 pm
WillDeed
(@willdeed)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @gordon-w

Good to know... I didn't think to look at github.

Thanks @gordon-w and all for the replies!

Posted : 25/10/2020 10:31 pm
Share: