Clear all

Anyone been able to enable EEPROM_SETTINGS / M500  

RSS
PHabermehl
(@phabermehl)
Eminent Member
Anyone been able to enable EEPROM_SETTINGS / M500

Hi everyone,

I desperately need to get the EEPROM working because I installed an Bondtech DD extruder and now I need to set the E steps permanently.

I tried to compile the firmware.

Works flawlessly, but when I add "#define EEPROM_SETTINGS" to config_a3ides2209_02.h the build fails.

Any help highly apreciated.

Kind regards

Peter

Posted : 17/08/2020 1:52 pm
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member
RE: Anyone been able to enable EEPROM_SETTINGS / M500

In what way does it fail?

Posted : 17/08/2020 4:48 pm
PHabermehl
(@phabermehl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

In the worst possible way...

The build script does NOT give any additional output. Just at the end it reads:

devel/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy> python3 utils/build.py --final --generate-bbf
Building mini_release_noboot
Building mini_release_emptyboot
Building mini_release_boot

Building finished: 0 success, 3 failure(s).
mini_release_noboot build FAILED
mini_release_emptyboot build FAILED
mini_release_boot build FAILED
Posted : 17/08/2020 4:50 pm
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member

The build process produces two log files called stdout.txt and stderr.txt, which should be in the build directory.

I believe that Prusa have disabled the standard Marlin Eeprom code and replaced it with their own, so the ultimate solution might be to add to the Prusa code.

Posted : 18/08/2020 9:22 am
PHabermehl
(@phabermehl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @bobcousins

The build process produces two log files called stdout.txt and stderr.txt, which should be in the build directory.

I believe that Prusa have disabled the standard Marlin Eeprom code and replaced it with their own, so the ultimate solution might be to add to the Prusa code.

Thanks for the hints. Couldn't find any indication for the fail. I also posted to GitHub. Obviously there's more behind that problem than just enabling the config. I will stay tuned to what happens there...

Posted : 18/08/2020 12:06 pm
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member

Well, I composed a detailed reply but Wordfence killed it. This forum software really is total shit!

Posted : 18/08/2020 12:47 pm
PHabermehl
(@phabermehl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Bob, thanks for your efforts. I received a PM meanwhile explaining many things. Unfortunately I can't send PMs yet due to my "new member" status.

As said, I'll closely watch what's going on at GitHub.

Kind regards

Peter

Posted : 18/08/2020 12:53 pm
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member

Anyway, I've been looking at the code, and adding new values to the eeprom looks quite straightforward. I think the M500 commands might need a bit of hacking to tie in with the new eeprom code.

The new Prusa eeprom code is quite nice, but incompatible with the standard Marlin code. I took part in discussions on how to improve the Marlin eeprom code, no one could agree. Unfortunately it is quite a can of worms, creating a new clean architecture while maintaining backwards compatibility is very difficult.

Not sure what Josef is referring to when he talks about "hidden menus".

Posted : 18/08/2020 1:11 pm
PHabermehl
(@phabermehl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I would have no issues accepting it's a temporary state if M500 / EEPROM usage will be enabled again.

I also understand that there are liability reasons for that made Prusa implement that appendix and I accept that. Usually you'll go for a Prusa printer because of the "Prusa experience", just print your stuff  and get the best results possible without tinkering around with printer hardware, software and configs.

Prusa wants to and actually must make money with their printers, it's for their living. Considering that all their stuff is still open source, which I really appreciate, it's even more difficult. The Chinese Mini clones are available short-term whereas people still have to wait for an Original.

So i can fully accept that Prusa does not support China cloned printers, which would need adaptations in the first line, no question. But in the case of the Mini there ARE some improvements to be done like the dual drive extruder and the heatbreak. Again I would not expect or demand Prusa to supply a signed firmware for that, it's not their business. But you should be able to set the adaptation values accordingly....

Also I would like to use a more wear-resistant nozzle and try out a standard V6 nickel plated copper heat block for some more advanced filament. Thus I would like to adapt the PID control for the heater. Again values to be stored in EEPROM.

Well, we will see how it turns out.

Kind regards

Peter

Posted : 18/08/2020 1:30 pm
Share: