Notifications
Clear all

Some questions about M600 and filament change  

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Some questions about M600 and filament change

Hi, I know that we could issue a color change by adding M600 to the GCode. The LCD would ask us to press the knob to release the filament and another press to load the filament followed by a confirmation of successful loading with another knob press. This is OK for changing filament of the same type as in the case of changing colors only. What if I want to switch filaments that require different temperature? The problem is that as soon as I pressed the knob to confirm that the 2nd filament was loaded successfully, the printer started to print immediately. It would take time for me to go to Tune to change the temperature. By the time the temperature for the 2nd filament was reached, the printer had already made some printings. This is especially bad when I printed small objects as it means that several layers had already been passed before the target temperature of the 2nd filament was reached. 

Is there a Gcode that I could use to activate filament selection with corresponding filament target temperature on the LCD screen and have the printer waits for the target temperature to have reached before it resumes the print?

Also, does the printer automatically take care of the amount of extrusion and retraction during filament type changes?

Posted : 11/09/2021 3:07 pm
BogdanH
(@bogdanh)
Honorable Member

Printer knows nothing about used filament type, so everything is defined in G-code generated by slicer.
About using different filament types in single print (which I didn't tried myself), I would try something like this:

Let's assume you start with PLA, so slicer will set filament temperature to 215C and bed temperature to 60C. When you insert Color change, slicer will insert M600 code at that layer. If you only change filament once, then that isn't much of a problem I think. You simply add new temperature in custom G-code:

M600 ;that's already there
M109 S250 ;set new temperature (for PETG), wait until heatblock reach new temperature, then continue

-the same way you can add other commands if needed.

The problem is, if you wish change filament more than once in single print. In this case you'd need to manually modify G-code at each M600. Still, if it's only 2-3 times, then you can do that quickly with some text editor (Notepad in Windows).
Anyway, if changing filament type many times in print, then you might lose the track of which filament you should use at certain layer height. Maybe solution could look something like this:

;first Color change
M117 Insert PETG ;message to display
M601 ;wait for user confirmation
M600 ;execute Color change
M109 S250 ;set new temperature (for PETG) , wait until heatblock reach new temperature, then continue
; print until next Color change...
M117 Insert PLA ;message to display
M601 ;wait for user confirmation
M600 ;execute Color change
M109 S215 ;set new temperature (for PLA) , wait until heatblock reach new temperature, then continue
; print until next Color change...

-it's just a basic idea, as I'm not some G-code expert.

Btw. I think you can do this only with filaments which have similar bed temperature. Because, for example, if you start with ABS/ASA (which require bed temperature of min 90C) and then continue with PLA, then PLA will just melt above ABS layers.

[Mini+] [MK3S+BEAR]

Posted : 11/09/2021 4:41 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: How to stop unintended filament from leaking out?

Thanks. I tired M109 S250 but the problem is that while the temperature was raising, quite a lot of filament came out from the nozzle and  curled up to the base of the heater block and around the nozzle. Then, when it resumed to print, those unintended extruded filament ended up where the print was terminated before the filament was changed. This ruined the print.

Posted : 11/09/2021 4:53 pm
BogdanH
(@bogdanh)
Honorable Member

Yeah, there are hidden traps.. must be a reason why some printer have two extruders.

[Mini+] [MK3S+BEAR]

Posted : 11/09/2021 5:03 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

What is the cause of the leakage?

Posted : 11/09/2021 5:17 pm
RedDawg
(@reddawg)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @bogdanh

Yeah, there are hidden traps.. must be a reason why some printer have two extruders.

Ah, TWO extruders! What a concept! If only.....

Hear ye, Hear ye! Step right up folks and get your Government salvation here! Less than $.002 per word! Amazon.com/dp/B0B8XMMFP4

Posted : 12/09/2021 12:53 am
Share: