Clear all

V6 on Mini: Heat Creep?  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
V6 on Mini: Heat Creep?

Ok,

I would post pictures but I am at work.  I have a V6 installed on one of my Minis.  It keeps jamming and when inspected the heatbreak, it was full of melted filament.  The PTFE was in the right place.  Any ideas what might cause this?  I am going to take it apart and reinstall it.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/12/2020 2:20 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: V6 on Mini: Heat Creep?
Posted by: @cwbullet

Ok,

I would post pictures but I am at work.  I have a V6 installed on one of my Minis.  It keeps jamming and when inspected the heatbreak, it was full of melted filament.  The PTFE was in the right place.  Any ideas what might cause this?  I am going to take it apart and reinstall it.  

Maybe the E3D V6 hotend works so well on my Mini because I use a nickel-plated copper heating block and a titanium heatbreak with TC nozzle. Same constellation as the MK3.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/42554-original-prusa-mini-e3d-v6-hotend

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/12/2020 3:02 pm
toz liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

Do you have 3 fans on that?  And will the stock x-carriage work?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/12/2020 3:04 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

Yes, a total of 3 fans are mounted. The air supply of the original fan is one-sided and not optimal. So that the cooling is even all around, I have built a fan on the front.
The hotend I have completely reworked. But the front fan is only a single bracket and is fixed to two holes of the heatsink fan with longer screws and additional nuts.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:26 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Will the original X-carriage still work?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:43 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I am having a rough time.  I am unable to get a clone V6 not to jam in the mini.  Every time I load a filament, it jams before I can get the fits layer calibration.  My PTFE tubing appears to not come to full the top of the heartbreak and I get a disk jam below the PTFE tube.  I even chamfered the tubing.  I am not sure how to get this mode to work.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/12/2020 2:03 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/12/2020 2:25 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I am going to replace the entire hotend now.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/12/2020 4:53 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

I can only say that my E3D V6 hotend (original by E3D) runs perfectly on the Mini. I didn't have to change the temperature settings in the firmware. The PTFE (capricorn) is one piece - from the extruder to the hotend and of course cleanly chamfered with my special tool:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/34035-ptfe-multitool

I also have to mention that I never used the original Mini Extruder and immediately installed something reliable. It has power without end - no jams and no notched filaments. Even carbon containing materials can be printed perfectly.

Posted : 06/12/2020 11:33 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I got it to work.  It was 100% the clip on the Bowden Collet.  It was not locking the tubing and it was slipping up 1 mm.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 06/12/2020 11:51 pm
bobstro liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

Small errors with big causes. Good that you have quickly found the error 👍 

Posted : 07/12/2020 1:11 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Yes.  That 1mm change in PTFE movement made a huge jam.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 2:17 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Hi, are you guys fitting E3D V6 or V6 lite?

Posted : 07/12/2020 12:13 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@towlerg

I am using the V6 standard all metal.  I moved from the stock hotend to a setup I cound to support the V6 htoend.  I have now moved to Karl's because it allows the hotend to be more easily removed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 12:59 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@towlerg

I use exactly the same original E3D V6 hotend as I use on the MK3. The values in the thermistor table are identical to those of the MK3. I have used it for hundreds of hours without any problems with various filament materials, including carbon (XT-CF20).

Posted : 07/12/2020 1:21 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

I wanted to use it, but the wires are too short.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 1:41 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

This heater cartrige should be compatible with MK3/S and Mini. Also this thermistor. If the wires are still too short you can try to route them differently or extend them in the area of the Molex connector.

Posted : 07/12/2020 2:58 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

I installed a V6 that was not designed Prusa.  It worked.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 2:59 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

Thanks for the feedback!
I think that of course also non original E3D parts should work.

Of course I have the big advantage that I live not far away from Prague and in principle I could get the spare parts locally. But the shipping costs are so low (6 Euro) that I prefer to have them sent to me.

Posted : 07/12/2020 3:04 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

I have begun using more e3D parts when using my Mk3S and use knockoffs for testing on one of my 8 MK3S printers.  I have never used a knock off on my Minis unless the printer itself is a clone.  I am waiting on my second Original Mini (the one lost in shipping).  I may have a sweetheart deal on my fifth Mini from Craigs list locally.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/12/2020 3:49 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: