Notifications
Clear all

Upload filament causing filament bits  

RSS
MiguelAngPeinado
(@miguelangpeinado)
Upload filament causing filament bits

I find the filament change very aggressive with filament itself and while ramming, the extruder missing steps and bit the filaments...
is there any way to limit this behavior or any other way to change filament?

Maybe a custom upload filament .gcode without ramming?

Working with standard upload temp 215 for PLA as stated on Prusa's firmware
when upload you see it does a "ramming" process by pushing the filament to nozzle before take it off
it's in that point when with that high speed the extruder can handle that pressure

Posted : 13/05/2020 8:24 am
Matteo Cristini
(@matteo-cristini)
Reputable Member
RE: Upload filament causing filament bits

Happens to me as well, I'd like to find a fix too.

Posted : 13/05/2020 8:52 am
LuL3D
(@lul3d)

In Prusa Slicer I use the following line in the "End Gcode" section of the printer profile for my Minis:

G1 E-15 F2100 ; retract enough to make filament change easier

This backs the filament out far enough after completing a print that I don't even have to use the firmware to get the filament out. I can manually just pull it out if needed without even warming it up first. Using the firmware routine still works (it does the warm up and ramming), but it doesn't make the extruder click and works almost every time.

If you do add something like this, make sure that your "Start Gcode" section extrudes more than 15mm (in my example) of filament before trying to start printing again.

Posted : 13/05/2020 11:05 pm
Crawlerin liked
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Interesting, don't hear clicks during ramming phase and my filament does not look too chewed. The spot is recognizable but not chewed. Filament has very light imprints of extruder gears. Maybe it depends on idler tension?

@doug

That's a nice tip, thanks! I mean tip as a hint, not tip as a filament tip from ramming 😆 

Posted : 17/05/2020 2:30 am
Share: