Clear all

Unofficial Prusa Mini Wait Thread  

Page 19 / 241
  RSS
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
RE: Unofficial Prusa Mini Wait Thread

Common guys. Only 19 pages? I thought our community is growing. 88 pages is minimum for the Mini:

https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/ship-date-tracking-spreadsheet/

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 27/11/2019 6:04 am
herbert
(@herbert)
Estimable Member

This is my first printer as well, and I haven't ordered at the first day 😉 but I do not understand why people just do not relax and let things happen 😉 hmmm - I think I am getting (too) old 😀

Anyhow, because the shipment gonna take some time, would it make sense to add anything to the shipment ? I ordered the Mini with on 1kg PLA and ABS, but would it make sense to add anything else to that order ? like a nozzle or what do you think?

Because I need to wait anyhow, I am sure Prusa is able to add some additional things to that shippment if necessary.

So what do you think, is it even necessary to add something to the shipment?

Thanks

Posted : 27/11/2019 7:35 am
Minos
(@minos)
Posted by: @bobstro
Posted by: @charles-h13

Good catch.  I ordered one.  

Looks like an old ESP8266-01. Very limited, and a pain in the backside to program. I hope they're not just using it as a wireless serial interface.

Surprised they'd use a module that old and limiting. Even newer ESP8266 modules cost pennies more.

Going to keep my Octoprint setup ready. 

Looks can be deceiving there are some STM boards which are identical to the ESP8266 and they are an even bigger paint to program.

No sure why they chose to use revision-01 of the ESP though, considering that later revisions are FCC approved, electromagnetically shielded and have better quality, and are overall less prone to failure. A significant amount of ESP-01 had a silicone bug which did not allow permanent storage the EEPROM for configuration settings, which is something that the prusa support will have to deal with.

That being said, I suspect they just use it as with the proprietary pre-installed AT command firmware acting as a simple slave WIFI interface over UART. It would be quite simple to design an interface PCB and use ESP8266-12F or ESP8266-12E or any variant with an external antenna. I do not believe you will have to program it, it would be a simple plug and play scenario.

Onto the subject I am also on the waiting list and been looking into prusa-slicer code and settings preparing for it. I really hope there is a new release since I cannot figure out how they are planning to handle a bowden printer stringing without coasting settings. Linear advance is nice, and helps but those features are not either or. We will need to reduce the filament pressure before and/or after a travel move.

Posted : 27/11/2019 9:50 am
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member

am I the only Person a little bit angry about Prusa? they said, the first units for the people, they ordered on the first weekend, will be shipped end of this month. now you can read on the sop site they will start PRODUCING end of this month, shipping of first units in dezember. no email from Prusa, no voucher or something to compensate this...

Still, i want the mini, but this unpleasant way of things are handled by prusa...

Posted : 27/11/2019 12:32 pm
Saij
 Saij
(@saij)
Estimable Member

Nope not the only one.

Cancelled my order and gone back to order a SL1 kit. SLA makes for fun right now - and I already have two Prusa FDM printers ^^

Posted : 27/11/2019 1:27 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@minos197

I wonder perhaps if when the board was designed only the original ESP was supported in firmware?

Posted : 27/11/2019 1:47 pm
Scott
(@scott-2)

@pingu

If you look on the previous page you should see a post from @m8harry, he posted a Facebook group screenshot from Josef himself stating that minis are currently in production and will start shipping soon. Hopefully the wait wont be as bad as you first thought. I have attached the screenshot again for reference.

Posted : 27/11/2019 1:54 pm
Minos
(@minos)
Posted by: @towlerg

@minos197

I wonder perhaps if when the board was designed only the original ESP was supported in firmware?

I highly doubt that. ESP8266-01 is very very old, at least  6 years. By 2016 where ESP32 was launched, we already have 12F revision.In 2020 Espressif are expected to announce CHIP7 which will support 5Mhz and possibly WiFi6.

But in reality it does not matter, as its a cheap easy to get add-on. Effectively all you need is a four wire connection to a standard modem ( 3.3V, GND, DATA, CLOCK ) . If a newer chips come or if you want to use a different revision of ESP you can just make your own breakout board. Octoprint is the way to go for WIFI and we shouldn't worry about this feature a lot.

Posted : 27/11/2019 2:01 pm
Greybeard3D
(@greybeard3d)
Estimable Member

@pingu

Things happen. They never ever said orders the first weekend will ship November. They only said orders will start shipping in November. In fact when I talked to them Sunday after launch they were already saying only day 1 orders in November. 

They seemed very confident about November. Even stated all the parts were in stock. So we must all realize that things happen even with the best plans. And to be honest this is Prusa’s Modus Operandi. Can we name anything they launched smoothly?

Posted : 27/11/2019 2:09 pm
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member

I also cancelled mine order, well maybe not cancelled but switched to Mk3s. Even that I ordered it in october receiving it in February or if anything slips on March and then probably some issues from beta I opted for polished Mk3s now rather then Mini 3 months later... 

Posted : 27/11/2019 2:27 pm
DenS
 DenS
(@dens)

According to Josef, the problem is with the firmware and they first want to solve it so that they can put the USB sticks in all the boxes.

But surely that could have been different? Updating Firmware is fairly easy thourgh Slic3r or the USB stick.. In any case, you can already start sending the units, given that it will take a few days again to deliver.  I don't get it to delay this launch 😛

Posted : 27/11/2019 2:39 pm
Texy liked
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

@bobstro

For some reason I have the same feeling, but maybe I am just getting old and remember things at slower pace. Today's world demands everything at tips of fingers on touch screens and amazon-primed in few hours, next day max. I live in Central Europe, not worth for me to get Prime for faster delivery times as it will be the same (despite warehouses being just here). I order from China e-shops occasionally and wait few weeks until container ship makes it to Europe harbors, and I bought few items from Massdrop where they collect orders from people first before giving that larger order to manufacturers for discounted price = 4-12 weeks of waiting. I just take into account that things won't be NBD.

I sure would like to get printer by Christmas, but if not, then not. It's for me, not a gift, my job does not depend on it, and I have things to do to keep me occupied meanwhile. Apparently PR has track record of big delays at product introduction, it may be wise to keep that in mind for any consequent product launches.

Posted : 27/11/2019 2:57 pm
herbert liked
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member

I sold my ender in october, cant be 5 months without a printer, got some projects to do. Usually waiting does not bother me either but 5 month, no sir

Posted : 27/11/2019 3:07 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@b3-marek

Kindda different paying 769E for a kit (albeit a good kit) opposed to 379E for what is essentially full built. I know there's a lot of plus but its  390E for extra build plate, filament, detector etc. etc.

Posted : 27/11/2019 4:03 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dennis-s12

According to Josef, the problem is with the firmware and they first want to solve it so that they can put the USB sticks in all the boxes.

But surely that could have been different? Updating Firmware is fairly easy thourgh Slic3r or the USB stick.. In any case, you can already start sending the units, given that it will take a few days again to deliver.  I don't get it to delay this launch 😛

I certainly have no reason to doubt Mr. Prusa's veracity but surely the file could be downloaded along with YUMI or whatever

Posted : 27/11/2019 4:09 pm
MikoRoG
(@mikorog)

Ordered on nov 3rd

Posted : 27/11/2019 6:40 pm
DenS
 DenS
(@dens)

@ddechy

What is your order date? 🙂

Posted : 27/11/2019 6:45 pm
MikoRoG
(@mikorog)

@dennis-s12

I ordered November 3rd. 

Posted : 27/11/2019 6:49 pm
nic
 nic
(@nic-3)
Eminent Member

@herbert

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to add some spare parts when they become available. Inevitably, you will get a blob that will tear out a thermistor or heater cartridge wire. Belts will stretch and need replaced. Having extras on hand is nice to avoid downtime waiting on replacements. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by nic
Posted : 27/11/2019 9:46 pm
herbert liked
Razaro
(@razaro)
Eminent Member

@towlerg

Putting it together is not a problem. What I like in mk3s is direct extruder, that is the part i wasnt sure about mini.

And also that I ordered mk3s at 3pm and at 4pm it was already shipped 🙂 

Posted : 27/11/2019 10:42 pm
Page 19 / 241
Share: