Clear all

Super PINDA and other changes coming to the Mini+  

Page 2 / 8
  RSS
JottaD
(@jottad)
RE: Super PINDA and other changes coming to the Mini+

@cwbullet

Mine should be shipped week 41, I contact the Customer Support to order one new probe and got this information  "... for customers who already put their MINI orders it means, they will automatically get the MINI+..."

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:03 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jottad

Woohoo!

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:16 pm
JottaD liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@gordon-w

Woohoo!

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:18 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @fingle

Is no one finding this incredibly annoying that we are being asked to pay the full price of the new minda probe to fix Prusa’s old minda probe? I feel like we are beta testers most of the time. I understand this is the way Prusa works with their generative designs but really? Full price to fix their “faulty” design? I understand that the cost of the upgrade isn’t that expensive, it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It’s the principle! Prusa can afford to fly “influencers” half way around the world but charges us to fix their duff sensor. This has obviously been in the pipeline for quite a while but it explains Prusa’s silence on the matter. 
Rant mode off. 

This is their business model.  I got a year out of the old Minda Probe so now I just have to find something to do with it.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:20 pm
richnormand
(@richnormand)
Estimable Member

@cwbullet

My MK3S is working quite well with the old Minda probe so why upgrade until there is an issue? I would rather wait and see if people are happy with it .

On the other hand I really like how Prusa is updating and improving their technology and making it so there is an actual path to upgrade present instruments.

REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REBUILD, REDUCE, RECOVER, REPURPOSE, RESTORE

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:52 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@richnormand

The MK3S has a PINDA and not a MINDA.  

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/m-i-n-d-a-sensor-testing-mini_134021

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/11/2020 11:56 pm
3Dprintedgr
(@3dprintedgr)
Estimable Member

Despite the fact that I am happy with my printer with the only exception being the MINDA I find this move really frustrating. So they know that there is a faulty part on the printer which does not do what it is supposed to do and its not behaving like it needs to behave and now they charge 30 euros to replace it? I mean seriously they could at least make a discount to MINI owners in order to compensate for the mistake they failed to see in the first place? At least free shipping? They fail to recognize their fault?

For me this was a wrong move.

Original Prusa Mini + Smooth PEI
Prusa Slicer 2.6.0

Posted : 25/11/2020 12:38 am
Josiah and Tracy liked
TeachThePrints
(@teachtheprints)
Estimable Member

Buying a Mini + SuperPINDA costs the same as buying the Mini+. If you hadn't bought the mini already, you would be paying more for the printer now.

It's not like anyone gets an advantage. New buyers of the Mini+ will have to pay more upfront to get the printer, whereas Mini buyers have the option of upgrading the probe if they so desire. Both will end up paying the same amount and get the same hardware at that price.

The only ones who get an advantage are Mini preorder customers, who haven't received their mini yet, and get the orders upgraded to mini +.

Why Prusa didn't add the Pindav2 from the start though, dunno. It would have cost slightly more than the MINDA, but still much cheaper than the new probe and it already works great on the MK3s.

Prusa Mini FW4.4.1

Posted : 25/11/2020 1:08 am
burtronix and bobstro liked
richnormand
(@richnormand)
Estimable Member

@cwbullet

You are right.

Sorry, my mistake.

I thought the new one was more temperature independent and an improvement on the PINDA also.

Cheers

REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REBUILD, REDUCE, RECOVER, REPURPOSE, RESTORE

Posted : 25/11/2020 2:12 am
Area51
(@area51)

It would have been nice if Prusa had offered free shipment of the SuperPINDA upgrade. My Mini has been on hold for long periods due to the unreliability of the M.I.N.D.A - Fortunately I have some MK3S that just works...

Just ordered a Mini+ upgrade - hope it will fix the problem.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 25/11/2020 3:09 am
Josiah liked
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@area51

It would be nice, but I would be shocked based on their history.  I have no problem ordering one myself.   

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 25/11/2020 3:22 am
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

An interesting response on one of the GitHub issues "As you may noticed we released MINI+ with a new Mesh Bed Leveling sensor, the SuperPINDA. SuperPINDA will make calibration of the first layer much more consistent. So all of you with inconsistent first layer issue please contact our Support and we will replace your MINDA for SuperPINDA" ( https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware-Buddy/issues/895#issuecomment-733565880 )

Posted : 25/11/2020 9:05 am
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member

It doesn’t mention having to pay for it though....

Posted : 25/11/2020 9:20 am
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member
Topic starter answered:

I interpreted it as a free replacement, but as I don't have the problem I'm not going to ask for one, I'm sure we'll hear soon if they're charging 😆 

Posted : 25/11/2020 9:33 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@gordon-w

Me either.  Mine works.  Any issues I have had have been self-imposed.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 25/11/2020 11:41 am
reedx
(@reedx)

Received mine this morning but looks to have the old MINDA probe installed (yellow tip). According to the included printout the production date was 10 November and tested 18 November.

Colin

Posted : 25/11/2020 11:52 am
ChillyPenguin
(@chillypenguin)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @texy

I’ve also ordered the new super MINDA. Of course it’ll be useless if new firmware doesn’t arrive before long 🥴

Texy

As I understand it the Mini will not require new firmware to support the SuperPINDA. Only the MK3 which I guess is to disable the temperature compensation.

Posted : 25/11/2020 6:20 pm
3Dprintedgr
(@3dprintedgr)
Estimable Member

@chillypenguin

It cannot work without a software update as it has a different pinout (4 wires instead of 3).

Original Prusa Mini + Smooth PEI
Prusa Slicer 2.6.0

Posted : 25/11/2020 6:22 pm
ChillyPenguin
(@chillypenguin)
Trusted Member

@3dprintedgr

The picture in the store only shows 3 wires, same as the MINDA:

SuperPINDA

This post was modified 3 years ago by ChillyPenguin
Posted : 25/11/2020 6:31 pm
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member

Only 3 wires as it doesn’t have the thermistor signal wire. I’d be surprised if it is totally compatible with the existing MINDA without new firmware to support it. 
Texy

Posted : 25/11/2020 6:34 pm
Page 2 / 8
Share: