Notifications
Clear all

LCD ribbon cable routing in 3030 extrusion  

RSS
loglow
(@loglow)
LCD ribbon cable routing in 3030 extrusion

The assembly instructions describe routing the LCD ribbon cable through the lower channel of the nearby 3030 aluminum extrusion. I noticed that other similarly routed cables along the Z-axis used an extrusion insert to hold the cables in place, but that an extra insert wasn't included for the LCD ribbon cable. Also, even after folding the ribbon cable as described, it wouldn't remain securely within the channel.

I bought some 3030 extrusion insert material, and ended up with several meters of it, even though I only needed a few inches. The insert is made of slightly flexible rubber. It has a hollow channel, but also easily works if you simply place it on top of any cables. In the case of the LCD ribbon, it works beautifully, holding the cable in place and securing it within the extrusion channel. This should be part of the kit. It's also not available from the Prusa shop, even though something similar is used along the Z-axis on existing MINI printers.

Since I have a bunch of the stuff left, I'd be happy to send a foot (3o0 mm) of it to anyone for free, as long as you're willing to pay for postage, which would be $3.50 to anywhere within the United States, or $13.50 to anywhere else, or faster shipping if you're willing to cover the extra cost. Please send me a private message if you'd like some.

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by loglow
Posted : 07/03/2020 4:43 am
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member
RE: LCD ribbon cable routing in 3030 extrusion

International postage would be a bit expensive for me, but this looks ideal. Are there any keywords to search for? I can't find it via google with keywords like "cable conduit".

Posted : 07/03/2020 3:53 pm
Area51
(@area51)

With flexible filament the cable cover can be printed on the Prusa Mini. I just uploaded the model I used for my Mini onto PrusaPrinters: Prusa Mini LCD Cable Slot Cover

I used Filamentum Flexfill 98A with standard Prusa filament profile.

@loglow
I was inspired by your post to share my model - hope that is OK 😀 

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 07/03/2020 5:27 pm
loglow
(@loglow)
Topic starter answered:

@bobcousins

I'm not sure what to search for, I only came across it while looking for other items on an eBay seller's store:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323524356718

Posted : 08/03/2020 2:52 am
loglow
(@loglow)
Topic starter answered:

@area51

Certainly OK, that looks great! Nice easy solution for folks with flexible filament.

Posted : 08/03/2020 2:54 am
coraima3
(@coraima3)

@loglow

Its really great. I love this.

Posted : 23/03/2020 2:10 pm
Share: