Laptop requirements for running Prusa Slicer and Fusion 360 programs

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
mad_madam_mim
(@mad_madam_mim)

I am new to 3D printing and ordered a Mini+ a few days ago. I have an older HP Pro Book and I'm not sure it will run the programs required to use my printer. I'm looking for suggestions on either certain laptops and/or computer specs that will run Prusa Slicer and Fusion 360 programs well. I appreciate any and all suggestions and I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone on the forum.

Posted : 24/04/2021 5:09 am
Judas
(@judas)
Trusted Member
RE: Laptop requirements for running Prusa Slicer and Fusion 360 programs

The system requirements page for Fusion 360 claims it can run on a not very fancy system. My laptop is way above those requirements, but the thing that makes Fusion run better is when you actually figure out how to model things properly. I would suggest double those requirements that they mention honestly unless you don't mind waiting when the program freezes. It can really suck when you haven't saved your design and it freezes badly though. What are the specs on your current computer? https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html

Posted : 24/04/2021 5:40 am
mad_madam_mim
(@mad_madam_mim)
Topic starter answered:

Processor is Intel i5-4300U @ 1.9 GHz 2.50GHz

Ram 8 GB

100 GB hard drive

No dedicated graphics card

I am worried about program freezing due to my laptop’s age, also my screen is only 13 or so inches. 

Posted : 24/04/2021 6:01 am
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

You don't mention which operating system(s) you are using.

Prusa Slicer runs on a wide range of machines and operating systems.  It's operable on a Rasberry Pi but benefits from the larger ram versions of the Pi4/400.  Some of the very latest Macs might have issues temporarily but that should be fixed very quickly.  It runs on almost all Linux distros even many without desktops but don't try that as a beginner.   Windows is supported too but I've never tried it.

Fusion 360 is a Windows and Mac only program.

Most of my 3D design work is done on a machine with  a similar hardware spec to yours, there is a wide range of software available depending on your style and preference.

Cheerio,

Posted : 24/04/2021 3:52 pm
mad_madam_mim
(@mad_madam_mim)
Topic starter answered:

I’m running Windows 10. Sorry, forgot to add that. 

Posted : 24/04/2021 5:35 pm
d0ug
 d0ug
(@d0ug)
Trusted Member

I'd suspect any laptop a decade old or newer should be sufficient. I use a ThinkPad T440p from 2013 with a 2.8ghz quad core i7-4900MQ, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT 730M. Prusa Slicer works fine on it. I've also run it on a Pi400, while not as quick as the T440p, it's still usable.

Posted : 26/04/2021 9:18 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I would go with the most expensive one you can afford.  Faster processor will mean faster generation of graphics.  My iMac is 10 years old and relatively slow.  It works but it is tedious to wait.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 26/04/2021 10:12 am
Lupin
(@lupin)
Estimable Member

Prusa slicer works fine on 5 year old Dell XPS 13, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 and intel graphics. Undoubtedly perkier machine gives you better response when slicing complex models, but so far this has worked fine. I use FreeCad.

Posted : 06/05/2021 6:43 pm
rorystone4
(@rorystone4)

Hello. I need to buy an ideally smaller form factor PC for 3D modelling in Autodesk 360 and playing with Prusa Slicer plus anything else that crops up as I get dragged into 3D printing. My ageing MSi GS70 Stealth laptop with its GTX 765M is starting to creak when I try to run Autodesk 360 and is only 1080p capable. I have a LG 27" 1440p G & Freesync monitor from my Zwift rig that is woefully under utilised cycling round mythical landscapes. I have no interest in gaming, using it as an HTPC, etc. It is my understanding (and I am happy to be corrected) that 3D CAD programmes tend to be CPU rather than GPU intensive and I keep seeing Geekcom Mini-PCs and the like with onboard graphics and wonder if they're up to the task - not that I need to go quite that small and an SD Card reader would be very handy. Budget could be up to £800 but I'd rather closer to half that! What direction should I be looking in?

Posted : 28/08/2023 8:34 pm
rorystone4
(@rorystone4)

Posted by: @rorystone4

Hello. I need to buy an ideally smaller form factor PC for 3D modelling in Autodesk 360 and playing with Prusa Slicer plus anything else that crops up as I get dragged into 3D printing. My ageing MSi GS70 Stealth laptop with its GTX 765M is starting to creak when I try to run Autodesk 360 and is only 1080p capable. I have a LG 27" 1440p G & Freesync monitor from my Zwift rig that is woefully under utilised cycling round mythical landscapes. I have no interest in gaming, using it as an HTPC, etc. It is my understanding (and I am happy to be corrected) that 3D CAD programmes tend to be CPU rather than GPU intensive and I keep seeing Geekcom Mini-PCs and the like with onboard graphics and wonder if they're up to the task - not that I need to go quite that small and an SD Card reader would be very handy. Budget could be up to £800 but I'd rather closer to half that! What direction should I be looking in?

no response to this

Posted : 29/08/2023 7:03 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

I use a Dell Inspiron I7 laptop with 16GB ram. (It has a Geeforce RTX Video processor and SSD)

I used to use a Acer swift 3 i7 with 8GB Ram. that was even smaller form factor. 

I Have an MSI 17 inch laptop with i7   discrete graphics card, 2x ssd drives and 1 x 1tb HDD. but it's unwieldy and heavy so it stays at home, little used... I Originally got it for Photogrammetry,  but I could never get the software to work with it. ... really upsetting expensive paperweight

hope this helps.

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 29/08/2023 8:16 pm
Share: