Notifications
Clear all

How to clean extruder great?  

RSS
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
How to clean extruder great?

I found some filament stuck with a extruder gear when I loading filament (through a extruder inspection door). I try with sure spray but it not came out. How to clean and how to rotate the gear in right position to clean?

To protect under extrusion what else I need to do weekly?

Thank you 😄

Posted : 02/06/2020 2:04 am
3Dprintedgr
(@3dprintedgr)
Estimable Member
RE: How to clean extruder great?

If you dont want to disassemble your extruder you can open the little hatch on it and clean it with spray and also use the needle that comes with your printer to clean the extruder's teeth thorougly. You can move the extruder from the printers menu manually.

The othe option is to disassemble your extruder and then clean all the debris with the same tools. The difference is that you will have more space and have easier access.

Original Prusa Mini + Smooth PEI
Prusa Slicer 2.6.0

Posted : 02/06/2020 5:47 am
atomleef and jsw liked
Area51
(@area51)

I use a small toothbrush and a dentist picker (needle on stick) to clean extruder drive and gear on my Prusa printers. Compressed air will only remove loose parts.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 02/06/2020 9:45 am
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@geoper2

thank you 🙂

Posted : 02/06/2020 10:29 am
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@area51

thank you

More question, do i need to clean nozzle and hot end regularly to prevent under extrusion?  With needle trough under nozzle and open the top of hot end and clean inside? Please make suggestion. 🙂

thank you

Posted : 02/06/2020 10:36 am
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

I used some toothpick and sticky tape to get plastic out of extruder gears. Here's a HOWTO: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/how-to-access-and-clean-the-extruder-pulley-mini_126457  

You can try cold pull to get debris from inside hotend.  https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/cold-pull-mini_126399/ But if your MINI suffers from underextrusion the problem may be elsewhere, not dirty nozzle. I would take a look into fixing hotend, there may be gap between PTFE and nozzle.

Posted : 02/06/2020 11:06 am
atomleef liked
Area51
(@area51)

@atomleef

I mostly print in PETG, so my experience may not apply to your situation.

Have never cleaned the heater block (not necessary) and only done a few inside extruder cleans with cold pulls.

I changed the nozzles to low friction nickel coated ones (from Microswiss) to make it easier to clean off PETG as that filament is very sticky. That works very great and only a wipe with a paper towel or cotton but is all it takes before each print.

If you get under extrusion with the Mini it is properly caused by a too short PTFE tube in the hot end. Some users have experienced that the tube has shrinked after some use and replaced it.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 02/06/2020 11:08 am
atomleef liked
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@crawlerin

thank you, i am not yet face under extrusion problem just want to monthly maintenance the machine to avoid future problem. any suggestion?

thank you  

Posted : 02/06/2020 5:12 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

I'd clean and lube rods from time to time: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/printer-maintenance-tips_23200  

I also check and clean nozzle (I print PETG but I don't have slick coated nozzle).

Posted : 02/06/2020 5:46 pm
atomleef liked
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@crawlerin

Thank you.

How do you clean nozzle? Cold pull? 

Posted : 03/06/2020 1:09 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

I heat it to reasonably high temperature (240-250 for PETG), wipe with paper towel, stubborn burn-ins get removed with metal brush.

Posted : 03/06/2020 5:52 pm
atomleef liked
atomleef
(@atomleef)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@crawlerin

thank you 🙂

Posted : 04/06/2020 3:57 am
Share: