Notifications
Clear all

First Layer Inconstant  

RSS
Ronald
(@ronald)
First Layer Inconstant

I am having a real issue with getting my first layer right. Yesterday I was setting up my first layer and towards the end of getting it dialed in the Mini did it's bed calibration but stopped in the back right corner and would not move or do anything. I tuned the power off and then back on on the Mini and started the first layer calibration over, it started and did the bed calibration fine this time, but when it started laying down the first layer the nozzle gouge the bed, I was able to turn the printer off before it did to much damage. At this time I had the nozzle setting at -1.500. Turned the printer on and started over from the beginning on first layer calibration at 0.000, finally got a good first layer at -1.350 this time. Not sure what changed or why it changed form -1.500 to -1,350. Printed a frog from the USB stick, bottom looked good. had to run for the day, so today next day, just for fun printed the frog again this morning a day later, did not turn off printer or change anything.  Any ideas what is going on?

Left frog yesterday, Right frog today, no settings changed.

Left frog yesterday, Right frog today no settings changed

Posted : 02/06/2020 7:08 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: First Layer Inconstant
Posted by: @ronald-m11

I am having a real issue with getting my first layer right. Yesterday I was setting up my first layer and towards the end of getting it dialed in the Mini did it's bed calibration but stopped in the back right corner and would not move or do anything. I tuned the power off and then back on on the Mini and started the first layer calibration over, it started and did the bed calibration fine this time, but when it started laying down the first layer the nozzle gouge the bed, I was able to turn the printer off before it did to much damage. At this time I had the nozzle setting at -1.500. Turned the printer on and started over from the beginning on first layer calibration at 0.000, finally got a good first layer at -1.350 this time. Not sure what changed or why it changed form -1.500 to -1,350. Printed a frog from the USB stick, bottom looked good. had to run for the day, so today next day, just for fun printed the frog again this morning a day later, did not turn off printer or change anything.  Any ideas what is going on?

Left frog yesterday, Right frog today, no settings changed.

Hello and welcome in Prusaforum,

First I would check the mechanics. Are all screws tightened properly? The axles are not warped, running smoothly, without jamming areas?

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 02/06/2020 7:37 pm
Ronald
(@ronald)
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

I did check all the screws and they are tight, the axles seem to be level and running smoothly.

Posted : 02/06/2020 7:46 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@ronald-m11

Maybe you can find a possible cause for your firstlayer problems on these pages: https://www.prusa3d.com/first-layer-issues/

Maybe the extruder is clogged or a problem with the MINDA (loose, not installed at right angles, too high), double-check the printer's wiring.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 02/06/2020 9:36 pm
Ronald
(@ronald)
Topic starter answered:

Just to follow up, the second print I did was in the morning and the room I have the printer in was around 68 degf after reading a lot about the Mini and how the MINDA does not have a thermo sensor in it to compensate for the temperature I raised the room temperature to 75 degf and I am now getting great first layer prints.  

Posted : 05/06/2020 6:33 pm
Texy
 Texy
(@texy)
Reputable Member

That is exactly the problem. It’s a major design flaw of the MINI and time consuming to deal with. Prusa need to include a PINDA mod - the motherboard supports it. 
Texy

Posted : 07/06/2020 5:42 am
tompjagiello
(@tompjagiello)

Had a similar issue, I did my first layer calibration on a super hot day when it was 25degC+ inside and it was perfect, then did a print the next day when it was significantly cooler, around 22degC inside and I could definitely see filament strand separation on the bottom layer. I'd definitely do first layer calibration if the area in which you are printing is suddenly a few degrees C hotter / cooler.

Posted : 08/06/2020 6:59 pm
Share: