Where to buy Prusament Filament in the US?

Notifications
Clear all

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
buckeyestargazer
(@buckeyestargazer)
Estimable Member

Is there any place to buy Prusament filament in the US?  Amazon has a few options but they are super expensive.

Alternatively, are there other brands that are comparable to Prusament easily available in the US?

Posted : 03/03/2020 12:56 am
nilok
(@nilok)
Estimable Member
RE: Where to buy Prusament Filament in the US?

Personally, I do two-spool orders at a time from Prusa.  DHL 2-3 day is always $12, and the delivery is top quality.  They ring the bell, wait, and get a signature.  They never throw my package from 15ft away like amazon/fedex/ups or leave it in the rain/snow with a hole in it.  If I order Monday, its usually here by Friday.  I cannot speak to the quality of any other filament as I've NEVER had any successfully survive the transport/delivery.  I've sent every spool back with damage.  I just wish I could find either someplace local that actually stocked it, or a site that had better delivery.  Can I add those two questions to the thread??

Is your printer grinding? Bearings squeaking? Motors smoking?
Step 1) Wash your Steel Sheet
Step 2) Return to Step 1

Posted : 03/03/2020 1:18 am
buckeyestargazer
(@buckeyestargazer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@nilok

Hey, you're right!  When I was first looking on the shop I was seeing 2-3 day DHL for around $50 so I just wrote it off.  Looking closer $13 certainly isn't bad for 2-3 day international shipping.  

I'm new to this and while I want to use a good filament it is hard to justify the extra cost associated with the Prusament or Filamentum brands. 

Posted : 03/03/2020 1:30 am
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

You can also wait until PR sells another batch on amazon.com.

But we have also many US based filament manufacturer like printedsolid.com or matterhackers.com. Don't feel forced to buy prusament only because you have a Prusa printer.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 03/03/2020 7:22 pm
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010-2)

I have a lot of success with 3D Solutech.  It has an accuracy of +/- 0.03 so it is not as precise as Prusament.  However, 3D Solutech is a lot less expensive.  For example, I have created a couple of Terminator models and a Mandelorian cosplay helmet using this filament:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME7YUIU

Posted : 26/03/2020 4:43 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @rickjbird

I have a lot of success with 3D Solutech.  It has an accuracy of +/- 0.03 so it is not as precise as Prusament.  However, 3D Solutech is a lot less expensive.  For example, I have created a couple of Terminator models and a Mandelorian cosplay helmet using this filament:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME7YUIU

Well, that ±0.03mm is still better than the industry standard of ±0.05mm... While Prusament advertises ±0.02mm, according to the measurement logs for the spools that I've gotten they tend to be ±0.015mm. I wonder how many of the other spools are as "bad" as their advertised spec, or if most name brand spools are close to the same but give themselves a wider margin than Prusa does. (It's not like resistors where each batch are sorted and binned by different tolerances to sell the more precise ones at a higher markup.)

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 26/03/2020 11:33 pm
Birdman2010
(@birdman2010-2)

@sembazuru

Hatchbox used to advertise a +/- 0.05 mm tolerance.  Then, everyone started bragging about tighter tolerances. Hatchbox now advertises a +/- 0.03 mm tolerance.  They probably always had a 0.03 mm tolerance, but gave themselves the extra leeway until everyone started pushing the tighter tolerances.  I doubt that Hatchbox changed their manufacturing process.  They have always produced great filament.  The Hatchbox filament is a little pricey, but it is always great quality.

Posted : 26/03/2020 11:48 pm
jetlag72 liked
aab010799
(@aab010799)

Bumping an ancient thread, but it seems like their shipping costs have since gone up again. I'll have to mass order as even ordering just two spools incurs a much more significant shipping charge to here in Boston, MA, USA.

Some of the Prusament colors are available Amazon Prime but for an increased price of $40 per, but with limited color availability. 

Prusament is awesome so it would be really nice if they could figure out greater distribution within North America. For now I suppose I will keep ordering other filaments until I am ready to order a bunch at once.

Posted : 22/02/2023 5:47 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Printed Solid.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/02/2023 11:25 am
aab010799
(@aab010799)

Thanks! Didn't know about this. Somehow it still comes out to 50 cents more for 4 rolls Prusament PLA and 1 PEI sheet, versus ordering from Prusa directly. With drastically less availability. However I am sure this will improve over time. 

Posted : 22/02/2023 11:36 am
zab
 zab
(@zab)

I'm guessing from your name you might be in Ohio?  Check and see if there is a Micro Center store near you.  I use their store brand, Inland, petg almost exclusively on my printers.  I use the standard Prusa Slicer settings for their petg only changing the settings for supports when needed.

Posted : 26/02/2023 4:19 pm
You liked
AnnieR
(@annier)
Reputable Member

Hatchbox is a great filament, usually get it from Amazon. 

Posted : 26/02/2023 5:16 pm
buckeyestargazer
(@buckeyestargazer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Posted by: @zab

I'm guessing from your name you might be in Ohio?  Check and see if there is a Micro Center store near you.  I use their store brand, Inland, petg almost exclusively on my printers.  I use the standard Prusa Slicer settings for their petg only changing the settings for supports when needed.

I am from Ohio but live in Indiana, but I will always be a Buckeye.

I have long since settled on Paramount filament for the vast majority of my printing.  It's a very good filament, maybe slightly stringy but it is also very convenient for me, made just over the border in Illinois.  I can order a case of filament on Monday and have it on Tuesday.  

I also use Atomic filament for their carbon fiber PETG which is excellent.  

Posted : 26/02/2023 7:47 pm
dmakogon
(@dmakogon)
RE:

One thing I noticed, when ordering filament directly from Prusa, is that shipping costs (to USA-Maryland) don't follow any predictable pattern, as # of spools increases. Intuitively, I figured that shipping cost would be less, per-spool, as I increased spool count. Turns out, this isn't the case. I decided to plot shipping cost, based on total shipping amount and number of spools, to see actual per-spool shipping cost. Ignoring daily rate-conversion fluctuations etc, this is what I'm currently seeing, when looking at 1-12 spools in an order:

• For up to 6 spools, the best per-spool shipping cost is with a 2-spool order (about $9 per spool). Buying 6 spools, 2-at-a-time, results in slightly cheaper total shipping cost than a single 6-spool order.
  • Per-spool pricing gets better if ordering 7-9 spools (the lowest being about $7.25 per spool for 9 spools)
  • Per-spool pricing starts climbing again at the 10-spool mark
  • The pricing comparison incorporates all three shipping options (FedEx Intl Econ, FedEx Intl Priority, and DHL). For filament, I just pick the cheapest option.

So, based on this, I will order 2 spools at a time, order 9 spools at a time, or wait patiently for Black Friday free shipping...

I graphed the pricing through 12 spools:

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by dmakogon
Posted : 08/03/2023 9:29 pm
parsley liked
Sonblok222
(@sonblok222)

when I last reached out to Josef on instagram he told me that they DO NOT have an official selling/seller page on Amazon I have those dm's saves and screenshotted as well therefore if you are buying prusament on amazon it might not be the real thing

Posted : 09/03/2023 1:52 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Posted by: @sonblok222

when I last reached out to Josef on instagram he told me that they DO NOT have an official selling/seller page on Amazon I have those dm's saves and screenshotted as well therefore if you are buying prusament on amazon it might not be the real thing

It is the real thing, but the prices are high.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/03/2023 2:14 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I know that some of the Prusa branded filaments (not those branded Prusament, however) are available, as in same stuff, but FilamentPM brand, in the US FilamentPM on-line store.

Specifically, the silver-gray PLA that Prusa sends as a sample with each printer is (usually, depending on stock) available via FilamentPM.  Here in the States, the delivery is quicker and IIRC a bit cheaper.

Posted : 10/03/2023 11:28 am
Sonblok222
(@sonblok222)

yes but I know for sure that the prusament (aka the prusa filament) on amazon is not an authorized seller

Posted : 10/03/2023 1:31 pm
Sonblok222
(@sonblok222)

therefore you might need to reach out to prusa for the known sellers in the US

Posted : 10/03/2023 1:32 pm
OzarkNerd
(@ozarknerd)
Eminent Member

People on here and in the amazon reviews talk about how expensive it is but I guess I'm not seeing that... PLA and PETG Prusament is sold for $39.99 w/free shipping through this amazon store:  https://www.amazon.com/stores/Prusament/page/59218CF5-EC5A-4159-B9F6-459D4C7907BA?ref_=ast_bln

The same product through Prusa is $29.99 and per the above post would be $18 shipping.  Even if you bought 2 spools for the lowest per-spool shipping rate it's still within a dollar via amazon.

Is there a reason to be leery of getting through amazon?

Posted : 24/03/2023 12:31 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: