What is the recommended values for top and bottom layers?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member

Hi, when using PETG to print objects for functional prototyping that require strongest strength against deformation and breakage, what are the recommended values for top and bottom layers?

Posted : 14/06/2020 6:53 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: What is the recommended values for top and bottom layers?

It will depend on what layer height you use. I like to have 1-1.2mm thick tops and bottoms, so divide that value by your selected layer height. I use a 0.2mm 1st layer, so usually add 1 additional layer to the bottom. Of course, if you want thicker tops and bottoms, adjust accordingly. Even easier is to just use the Print Settings->Layers and perimeters->Horizontal shells->Minimum shell thickness feature and let the slicer calculate the appropriate number of layers for you.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:01 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Thanks. I don't know what layer height value is the best so better to let the slicer to calculate it? As for the Perimeters, I read that the higher value the better. Is there any disadvantage in setting it too high, say more than 4? What value do you recommend? 

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:28 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

I cannot edit my post. Actually, when using 0.4mm nozzle, is layer height of 0.15mm the recommended value?

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:40 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @bobstro

It will depend on what layer height you use. I like to have 1-1.2mm thick tops and bottoms, so divide that value by your selected layer height. I use a 0.2mm 1st layer, so usually add 1 additional layer to the bottom. Of course, if you want thicker tops and bottoms, adjust accordingly. Even easier is to just use the Print Settings->Layers and perimeters->Horizontal shells->Minimum shell thickness feature and let the slicer calculate the appropriate number of layers for you.

Thanks. I used the auto calculation from the slicer. Here is a screenshot. Is this what you mean?

Above that, under Vertical shells, it states that "Recommended object thin wall thickness for layer height 0.15 and 2 lines; 0.87mm, 4 lines: 1.70mm, 6 lines 2.54mm, 8 lines: 3.37mm." Am I correct that Perimeters is the same as number of lines? In the case of 4, where do I enter 1.70mm? Is first layer height of 0.2mm recommended?

Posted : 14/06/2020 8:53 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @peter-c20

Above that, under Vertical shells, it states that "Recommended object thin wall thickness for layer height 0.15 and 2 lines; 0.87mm, 4 lines: 1.70mm, 6 lines 2.54mm, 8 lines: 3.37mm." Am I correct that Perimeters is the same as number of lines? In the case of 4, where do I enter 1.70mm? Is first layer height of 0.2mm recommended?

That bit is about selecting a wall thickness that will be evenly divided by the specified perimeter (wall) thickness) without the need for gap fill or infill. It's not about strength. In general, more perimeters equals more strength. 3-4 perimeters are usually very strong unless you are after parts that will experience heavy load or usage.

For layer heights, the finer the height, the smoother vertical curves will be, but the slower the print will be. Select a layer thickness that gives good finish but doesn't take absurd amounts of time to print. I use 0.2mm for most prints, but often will go much higher for big functional parts. I don't usually go below 0.15mm unless printing something with a lot of vertical detail. This one's more of a question of personal preferences.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 15/06/2020 2:27 am
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

In general, more perimeters equals more strength. 3-4 perimeters are usually very strong unless you are after parts that will experience heavy load or usage.

Thanks. By heavy load, what is the weight?

Posted : 15/06/2020 3:09 am
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

In general, more perimeters equals more strength. 3-4 perimeters are usually very strong unless you are after parts that will experience heavy load or usage.

Thanks. By heavy load, what weight limit are you referring to?

Posted : 15/06/2020 3:09 am
Share: