Notifications
Clear all

Vanadium nozzle problems. Is Tungsten Carbide the way to go?  

RSS
lehane
(@lehane)
Vanadium nozzle problems. Is Tungsten Carbide the way to go?

I have a BMG Mosquito Magnum on my Mk3S.  I'm going to be printing basic PLA as well as some exotics and wanted a hardened nozzle that I could leave on without having to worry about wear.  I bought some Vanadium nozzles and have had no end of trouble.  No matter what settings I use the damn thing leaves stringing everywhere.  The only setting that seems to make any difference is lowering the print fan to ridiculously low levels, and even then there is still a little residual stringing.

Looking around the web I've come across Tungsten carbide nozzles.  They seem to be harder than Vanadium (no need to worry about it wearing away) and they seem to have the same thermal conductivity as brass.  They also have a wonderfully large price tag.

Before I pull the pin and buy one I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issues with Vanadium, and has anyone used the Tungsten Carbide nozzles and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

This topic was modified 4 years ago by lehane
Posted : 01/08/2020 4:29 pm
locktec
(@locktec)
Eminent Member
RE: Vanadium nozzle problems. Is Tungsten Carbide the way to go?

I've had my MK3s about a year now,I bought my  Tungsten carbide nozzle from Dyze Design about 11 months and I've printed every type of filament all my prints are with .04  Tungsten carbide nozzle . I've printed from colorFabb XT-CF20 to pla with one  Tungsten carbide nozzle. I hope That answer your question.

Posted : 02/08/2020 2:06 am
lehane liked
Calire
(@calire)
Honorable Member

Nozzle X at E3d (hard and not cheap but)     very good and long life time. Mounted in my MK3 and no no problem.

Posted : 02/08/2020 5:38 am
lehane liked
lehane
(@lehane)
Topic starter answered:

@locktec

Does the nozzle add any stringing, or does it behave like a brass nozzle?

@claire-k

Does the Nozzle X sproduce stringing due to it not being a themally conductive as a brass nozzle?

Posted : 02/08/2020 9:03 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@lehane

No stringing from my Nozzle X. I have had good success.  The thing I like about them is that the filament appears to be less likely to stick.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/08/2020 12:04 pm
lehane liked
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lehane

I have a BMG Mosquito Magnum on my Mk3S.  I'm going to be printing basic PLA as well as some exotics and wanted a hardened nozzle that I could leave on without having to worry about wear.  I bought some Vanadium nozzles and have had no end of trouble.  No matter what settings I use the damn thing leaves stringing everywhere.  The only setting that seems to make any difference is lowering the print fan to ridiculously low levels, and even then there is still a little residual stringing.

Looking around the web I've come across Tungsten carbide nozzles.  They seem to be harder than Vanadium (no need to worry about it wearing away) and they seem to have the same thermal conductivity as brass.  They also have a wonderfully large price tag.

Before I pull the pin and buy one I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issues with Vanadium, and has anyone used the Tungsten Carbide nozzles and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

thermal conductivity of different metals:

copper - 380 (W/(m*K))

brass - about 100 (W/(m*K))

tungsten carbide - about 110 (W/(m*K))

vanadium - 31 (W/(m*K))

the material is suitable for the heatbreak like titan ( 22 (W/(m*K))), less for a nozzle.

I would recommend: E3D X nozzle, tungsten carbide (not alloy) or a nickel plated copper nozzle.

To print PLA, a simple E3D brass nozzle is sufficient. If you want to print carbon filament, the nozzle can be changed quickly.

https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Wiki/Nozzle_Materials

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 02/08/2020 2:20 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I use the nozzle X and Standard Brass o.40mm nozzles on Carbon Fiber and abrasives. I have one that has lasted me 6 months.  If I get 6 months out of a brass or nozzle X nozzle, I got my money’s worth.  I also have Midwest titanium nozzles on two printers.  They seem to wear less.  

I prefer brass for most printing.  They Nozzle X is a plus because it tends to stick to prints less and gather less filament.  Does it wear less, not sure. I have had one since they were released and it is still going strong.  The Tungsten nozzles are about a year old and still going strong.  I thing the tungsten is going to out last the other two, but they are $50.  I could buy 5 brass nozzles for that price.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/08/2020 2:37 pm
gkas
 gkas
(@gkas)
Estimable Member

I got a Tungsten Carbide 0.4 V6 Nozzle from 3D Maker Engineering    https://www.3dmakerengineering.com/collections/3d-printer-nozzles/products/tungsten-carbide-3d-printer-nozzle

It sells for $39.99. I'm extremely happy with it. My nozzle temps are the same as brass, which is what I was shooting for. I also have a hardened steel one that's all right, but I was always having to tweak the temp a little hotter. The hotter temps made things a bit stringier. I figure I'll be set for quite a while, since I don't swap sizes. It'll probably outlast the printer.

Posted : 02/08/2020 2:55 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@gerrykaslowski

Thanks for the link!

For a while they were not available anymore. Now I just ordered 2 pieces of tungsten carbide 0.4mm (Euro 107.- incl. shipping to Austria).

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 02/08/2020 3:48 pm
mmoudry
(@mmoudry)
Posted by: @lehane

Thanks!!

Hi,

As per FAQ, https://support.sliceengineering.com/portal/en/kb/articles/i-m-experiencing-stringing-with-my-mosquito-mosquito-magnum-or-copperhead-hotend-what-should-i-do-27-5-2020

increase your print temperature until you don't experience stringing anymore 🙂

I just did that and the stringing disappeared

Posted : 17/01/2021 2:57 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@mmoudry

Too much heat can also lead to stringing.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 2:35 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I have had no issues printing with Vanadium or Tungsten Carbide.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/01/2021 2:44 am
Fille
(@fille)

Did you switch to a copper heatblock and titanium heatbreak? Or did it work without problems with the original mk3s parts?

Posted : 04/07/2023 1:43 pm
Share: