I wonder how much more the printers will cost us now.
Shouldn't cost much more, UK VAT is 1% less than in Czech, and there may be some duty to pay, but I only think that's 2.5%.
Time for a UK office?
It's probably taking time to work out because you get into an infinite loop.
If it's just over £135 then don't include VAT and the recipient pays.
But taking VAT off takes it below £135, so the shipper has to include the VAT.
Now it's just over £135, so don't include VAT and the recipient pays...
Under 135? I wish 😉
I wish I had known that in December they were going to rush out UK orders to avoid this issue, I wouldn't have waited until Jan to order!
I was in awe when I received my Mini+ 9 weeks early, it made me an instant fan. Yes it's annoying that the shop is unavailable right now but it's being worked on and given all the chaos this change has caused it's a minor issue.
Only thing I'd hope is that if the situation is going to drag on longer perhaps partner up with a retailer already in the UK to provide prusament and parts until the internal store can be fully registered.
How do they export to the UK shop, they fall into the same situation unfortunately.
I agree, that's certainly the case.
The best solution would be to allow us to get on the waiting list, happy to pay an estimated price! I just don't want this to take months and then have to wait another 10 weeks for delivery! I didn't vote for this Brexit mess!
Third Country Duty on commodity code 847740000 is 0%. So there won’t be duty on 3D printers, just VAT and admin fees.
Well that's some good news at least, shouldn't cost us much more then!
Really don't see the issue for orders over the £135 threshold, as no different to sending anywhere worldwide, as before...... and I feel that the UK VAT thing is a red herring...
Call me sceptical, but I think Mr Prusa has given the UK the heave-ho, with there last dash hurrah in December, upgrading orders and despatching them toot sweet...
Perhaps its time for some home grown competition or the big boys to fill this void, as Pruse have a reputation of being slow, and well s..l...o....w........
I think that's unfair. It looks like they are trying to abide by the UK rules, which means retailers selling into the UK should be registered for UK VAT. My worry is that the UK government are running around like idiots with no idea which way to go, and making no progress, and it's going to take a while.
I just wish Prusa would let us get onto the waiting list.
I'm starting to keep my options open by looking for alternatives, granted no going to be as good but I might have to settle for second best.
Same here. Running out of Galaxy Black & Silver, will have to try and find an alternative.
I really believe the company has more important problems, than delivery to the UK, but please do something in the following weeks. I'm running low on filament, and I had very bad experience with basically every other brand.
Other brands are sensitive for the humidity, break down, stuck etc.
Do the Prusa team read this forum.
If so could you provide us with an update as to what the issue actually is and any estimate as to when it would be resolved?
Also, the fact that you won't let us join the long waiting list makes me think it's maybe not a short term issue.
I think that Prusa will not read every post in the forum. I would recommend to address special topics through the Prusachat first. Special problems can also be published in github. The more messages are put there, the higher the priorities are set in this regard.
Josef talked about it in the last livestream, on the 6th.
I hope things might have evolved but it seems like they were stuck on bureaucracy, so not really anything they can actively do quicker.
About the waiting list, I am suspecting they pulled the UK out of the list of nations for the addresses to prevent any issue, as I've been trying to add my address to my account but I cannot find it. And I've been trying to do that from the user profile page, so nothing related to orders.