Clear all

Tools: What do you recommend?  

Page 2 / 17
  RSS
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member
RE: Tools: What do you recommend?

A plastic dial caliper is very handy for quick measurements, does not require batteries and is good enough for most things during every day use, for better precision a metric digital metal vernier caliper is slightly better, and a good quality micrometer is useful for initial calibration again in metric measurements. A pocket steel rule is handy as well.

I also have a set of copper pickling tongs for cleaning filament of the nozzle prior to printing, copper is softer than the nickel plating so less likely to damage the nozzle.

A set of good small electronics side cutters and long nose pliers and bent long nose pliers ideally serrated jaws for removing supports.

A hot air gun or heat tool for blasting stringing away.

A plastic razor blade tool for removing the prints from the bed.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 17/06/2020 9:51 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @chocki

I also have a set of copper pickling tongs for cleaning filament of the nozzle prior to printing, copper is softer than the nickel plating so less likely to damage the nozzle.

Something like this set of copper tongs?  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 17/06/2020 10:32 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I will post another one.  I have to agree that a heat gun is essential.  That blob surrounding your hotend needs cleaning and one of these will help you remove it without damaging the wires or hardware.

I own 2:

1. Portal Cable Heat Gun
  2. ZeopoCase Mini Hot Gun

For 3D printing, I prefer the small one.  

I am looking at buying another one: the Tacklife Mini Heat Gun.  I need a second one to take to the field to do shrink wrap and it looks interesting and has really positive reviews.  Does anyone else have any suggested tools?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/06/2020 11:01 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Ouch Charles!

I do have a Wagner heat gun, mostly used for shrink tube, and I HOPE I never have to use it on something like that.  The worst I've had was easily cleaned up by heating it up and gently removing the blobs with a wire brush.

While we're on the topic, another tool that I am including in my side caddy is a dental mirror. Handy to inspect the nozzle vicinity and, when I need to, change the nozzle.

Posted : 18/06/2020 11:45 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@jsw

That one was not mine, but i have had several similar.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/06/2020 12:36 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

@charles-h13

Yes, exactly like those, BUT!, they are a little larger than they look, which makes them a little bit on the big side and half the size would have sufficed, but I have them now and use them.

Part of my custom start print G code first heats the print head up to 100 Deg C to soften any residue before homing and causing dents in the bed, then the head moves up to a safe distance whilst heating up to 150 Deg at which point any stuck on filament (PETG in my case) can be pinched down the side of the nozzle with the copper tongs and it all comes off like a skin leaving a spotless nozzle (Nickel plated copper).

This wait to clean waits 10 seconds or a press of the rotary button and then continues moving the now clean nozzle to the bed for pre-heating the PINDA.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 18/06/2020 3:45 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@chocki

Great stuff.  The heat gun is similar to the one I have.  That one is not available in the US.  Ó

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/06/2020 4:03 pm
Flo4Print
(@flo4print)
Noble Member

Hi, what about a magnifier lamp ? Number 7 on this picture I made some time ago for same purpose (clic to see full size).

I am afraid I need the magnifier more othen than I would like... 🙄 

MK3S & Fusion 360

Posted : 18/06/2020 4:20 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

USB microscope.

To be honest not really required, but it does allow you to really inspect layer bonding, first layer extrusion, corners!, you can see if the filament is being pulled too tight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microscope-MAOZUA-Handheld-Magnifier-Professional/dp/B012ZQELYC/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=55975574129&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy52YkuSL6gIVxu7tCh2hwAS6EAAYAyAAEgICrfD_BwE&hvadid=259010608968&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007151&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17859008048140193698&hvtargid=kwd-299931489962&hydadcr=3959_1711792&keywords=usb+microscope+5mp&qid=1592497691&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-21

Posted : 18/06/2020 4:30 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@chocki

I use one.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 18/06/2020 5:16 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

Another tool that I use:

Needle nose pliers - LAOA 6 in 1 Multi Needle-Nose Pliers.  I really like these multi needle-nose pliers from Laoa.  They provide better grip that the one from Prusa.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/06/2020 9:23 am
Flo4Print
(@flo4print)
Noble Member

@charles-h13

this one looks really great I like it 👍 

MK3S & Fusion 360

Posted : 22/06/2020 9:52 am
ManelTo
(@manelto)
Estimable Member

These are want I need.

Sorry for my poor English. I try to do my best.

Posted : 22/06/2020 10:21 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

@manelto

What is the thumb nozzle tool you have?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/06/2020 10:52 am
ManelTo
(@manelto)
Estimable Member

@charles-h13

I don't know what is his name in english. I get the little piece that you can see and made a 3d design.

Sorry for my poor English. I try to do my best.

Posted : 22/06/2020 11:42 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

Another tool I use are ForPro Manicure emery boards.  They work great for cleaning up prints.    

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/06/2020 3:35 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I am going to post another:

One tool that is a must is a good nozzle wrench.  I have several.  

1. FSYETC Printer Upgrade Wrench: I do nto like this one.  I have found it clumsy.  
  2. 3d Printer Tool Kit & Nozzles: I like this one, but it is not my top pick.  It works well on V6 hotends.  
  3. Aibecy Hotend + Wrench: I love the hotend tool and insulated wrench handle.  This is probably #2 on my list.
  4. Aluminum Small Cross Wrenches: These little wrenches are one of the most useful tied for number 1.  I like the ability to put an Allen wrench through the side holes to get a larger grip.  
  5. Aluminum 7mm wrench: Great little tool.  Probably number 3 on my list.  
  6. Slice Engineering Nozzle Wrench: Geat on the mosquito.  It is amazing and will work on V6 with an adaptor.  #1 on my list.  
  7. The Olsson Tool: I use this with my Ruby.  

What wrenches do you use?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 24/06/2020 11:08 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

I have to agree with buying a heat gun.  

I own the Portal Cable and Dewalt Heat Gun.  I just bought this heat gun with a digital temperature display.  I found the size more useful for 3d printing and the display useful to gauge when to remove plastic bits.

I have found them very useful for cleaning up those printing misfires.  

Which gun do you use?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/06/2020 11:05 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Topic starter answered:

Well,

If no one else has suggestions, I have another.

A good hobby knife.  I have two, A Basic X-Acto Knife Kit and Olfa Craft Knife.  Both are great knives.  The Olfa is fantastic to remove brims.  

What is your favorite tool?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 02/07/2020 9:48 am
Page 2 / 17
Share: