Term for filling in prints with existing materials (ie: legos)

Term for filling in prints with existing materials (ie: legos)  

Eminent Member

Hi I'm trying to build some large items while conserving filament.


In the past I have seen projects where people have bought lego blocks and snapped their prints on to them.  The legos are an easy way to fill in large spaces.


Now I am trying to use wood blocks.


The search terms I have are making things difficult.  "3d print legos" is flooded with talk about printing your own legos, and "3d print wood" is flooded with articles about filament that has wood in it."


So does anyone know of some good terminology to use?  Thank you!

Posted : 21/01/2020 2:02 am
Reputable Member

Would that be infill? 

Posted : 21/01/2020 11:16 am
Reputable Member

Perhaps embedded?

Posted : 21/01/2020 2:42 pm
Estimable Member

I think he means to use as infill.

Print layers until you need to make the top, then place a big block or Lego, in the space so you can print on top of this.

This saves a lot of time.


Posted : 01/02/2020 1:23 pm

Please Login or Register