Should I Buy a Prusa?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator
RE: Should I Buy a Prusa?

@philflo

can you be please more specific? I can bring up that with Prusa in order to see why you did not get response. Thanks

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 21/11/2019 11:49 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@philflo

Email is not a good means to communicate with PRUSA.  They will respond but they probably get so many that it takes a while.  I recommend using the store chat box.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/11/2019 12:01 pm
philflo
(@philflo)
Eminent Member

I just wanted to know about shipping to the US. I wanted to check if the Prusa i3 MK3S at 999 USD still has the custom rate of 32 USD. Also, I checked with my credit card about international charges. They don't charge but advised I check if they bill the card in USD. Besides inquiries through the website, I sent it to [email protected].

Wondering what the support would be like if I did buy?

Thanks, Phil

Posted : 21/11/2019 12:02 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@philflo

Support is great.  If you have a problem, you contact them through chat and you get an answer at that moment in time.  Email is not instant, but chat is.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/11/2019 12:08 pm
philflo
(@philflo)
Eminent Member

@charles-h13

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try!

Posted : 21/11/2019 1:45 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Keep in mind your $999 was for an assembled MK3S. The one Charles posted was $749 for the kit.

I chose the kit because I really wanted to understand the printer - and the construction manuals are the best I have ever seen.

Your interests may be different. Building the kit is not for everyone. If you get the kit - don't make it a race.

Posted : 21/11/2019 5:20 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I was not pointing to the printer - the arrow points to the chat button.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/11/2019 8:50 pm
The Baron
(@the-baron)
Topic starter answered:

If you are ordering from the US, and using a credit card, I would recommend calling your card issuer and telling them that you are about to make a purchase from Europe. This may help avoid your payment from being declined as potential fraud.  

In my case, I got a text from my card issuer asking if the the transaction was legit. I responded yes, but by then it was too late. Prusa doesn’t attempt to re-run the transaction, so they just said to order again.  I did, and it went through immediately that time. 

Posted : 21/11/2019 9:14 pm
philflo
(@philflo)
Eminent Member

Well, they didn't answer my question about billing in USD.

In regard to the custom charge, I was told I would have to check with customs. Anyone in the US spend $999 or more lately and can share the custom charge?

Posted : 21/11/2019 9:22 pm
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

All I know for sure is that when I bought the kit with free shipping, there was no duty due. If you pay shipping - that may put you over the limit.

I was charged $749 USD, which my card company converted to something else. Euro, Checko, something.

Posted : 22/11/2019 12:37 am
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@philflo

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/P3iMlZWniv-payment-options-vat-customs

You have to pay $32 import taxes if you buy it assembled. No additional costs if you buy a kit. 

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 22/11/2019 3:42 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

Interesting chart. If you live in EU, VAT comes to about 20%. Ouch..

America, Malasia, and Hong Kong are the only countries with zero customs on a kit. Good company we keep.

Posted : 22/11/2019 3:49 am
philflo
(@philflo)
Eminent Member

I guess I'll buy the kit. I'll wait one more week to see if there is Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal.

Do most buy both plates, isn't the difference only between a smooth or textured bottom? If I get both plates and the .25 & .6 nozzles I'll be at $808.62 

Posted : 22/11/2019 11:36 am
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

@philflo

There's a note underneath the table that says "* (32 USD for version with both steel sheets)", so you probably go over 800 dollars even with kit itself.

And yes, we do pay pretty high VAT. Add in the fact that many companies count 1 Dollar = 1 Eur and slap 20% on top of that, and everything gets more expensive here. It's not as bad as Latin America countries or Australia though. Plus we get 2 years warranty for consumers.

Posted : 22/11/2019 1:20 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I have never understood VAT taxes.  I lived in Europe (Germany) for 4 years where they first stood it up.  It would never fly in the United States.  A small hint of such a tax would end the career of a politician.  

I bought both plates, also.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/11/2019 1:23 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I don't see much difference between VAT and sales tax for the consumer. I'm used to 6.25% in MA ("Taxachussetts") and am always caught off guard when I return to Phoenix and get hit with 8.6%. It would be nice to have one rate and fewer hidden fees. 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 22/11/2019 2:50 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@bobstro

In the local, the difference is the price on the shelf is usually what you pay (it is not added at the register).  The different online is the tax is added as you close the sale.  

I just can’t imagine a 20% sales tax.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 22/11/2019 4:04 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @charles-h13

[...] In the local, the difference is the price on the shelf is usually what you pay (it is not added at the register).  The different online is the tax is added as you close the sale.  

That certainly hasn't been my experience. I picked up a couple of small items at the Phoenix airport and went to the register with a handful of change sufficient to cover the price, only to realize I had to break a $20 due to the addition of sales tax. I only see sales tax added at the register, which is really annoying if you move between jurisdictions frequently.

Never rent a car or stay in a hotel! You'll get hit with concession fees, tourism taxes, stadium taxes, transportation privilege taxes, occupancy, state and city taxes to name a few that I encounter regularly. My recent 3 day car rental was $109.41 according to the rate listed on the web site. By the time I left, the total was $169.56. I regularly see inexperienced family members at the end of their big family vacations crumble when they see the final tally for a hotel stay or rental car.

A lot of taxes in the US get hidden around so they only affect certain groups (e.g. business travelers or tourists) but it doesn't mean that somehow one is free of taxes. Arizona is hardly the most liberal state and has no problem slapping citizens with taxes. I wouldn't start waving Old Glory around on this issue.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 22/11/2019 4:20 pm
The Baron
(@the-baron)
Topic starter answered:

Just to share my experience purchasing directly from Prusa.. 

Order on Wednesday (48 hours ago) - payment flagged and did not go through.  Card issuer texted me and I confirmed I did want to do business in Czech Republic.  During the course of the day I learned that Prusa couldn’t re-run the payment and that I would need to order again or send a paypal payment with my order number.

Order on Thursday (24 hours ago) - Payment went through immediately.  I checked my Prusa order history just now and it has shipped and there is a DHL tracking number.  I’m pleased it didn’t take several days to ship.  Expected delivery is Monday in the US.  That is great because I have next week off for Thanksgiving and will have time to do the build! 

Posted : 22/11/2019 4:30 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @charles-h13

@bobstro

In the local, the difference is the price on the shelf is usually what you pay (it is not added at the register).  The different online is the tax is added as you close the sale.  

20% sales tax in Germany is also not correct. It's in general 19% but there are exceptions like groceries, books and arts (most likely more) which has 7%. But as a regular consumer you don't have to know it. The price you see on the product is the price you pay. This is the biggest difference to US.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 22/11/2019 4:34 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: