Notifications
Clear all

Random flash poll December 8th 2021  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
auzworld
(@auzworld)
RE: Random flash poll December 8th 2021

I found that adjusting my flow to say 160 % when the brim is printing creates a very secure and solid brim that won't unstick from bed.

Can the brim have a Flow % adjusment feature next to it in printer settings so it can do it automatically on every print !! thanks

Posted : 04/01/2022 7:07 pm
burtronix
(@burtronix)
Reputable Member

How about some threads for people offering or needing coaching in some specific areas. This would be more focused topics than the typical discussion thread, would be more one-on-one (perhaps continued by DM), & might go for longer. It would also be focused on general knowledge-building rather than solving short-term problems. Some suggested coaching topics for starters:

• CAD design for FDM printing.
  • FDM material properties, mechanics, chemistry, & how those affect your model designs & print quality.
  • What you should know about g-code.
  • Stepper vs. servo control, why it matters, & how it's implemented in Prusa printers.
  • Trouble-shooting Prusa printers (general, rather than specific).
  • Starting & running a 3D printing business (there could be a lot of sub-topics for this one).

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do with all your might!

Posted : 04/01/2022 9:57 pm
AndersK
(@andersk)
Eminent Member

I would like to have a section for change/ new feature requests, with a voting system. Just an easy way to bring ideas to the developers and a chance for the community to show it's interest in different ideas.

Happy to get some feed back in some way from officials which ideas that will be worked on.

And please don't say this is already in place in GitHub... That is a platform for programmers that many of us mortals find very un-intuitive 😉 

Posted : 06/01/2022 12:14 pm
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin
Topic starter answered:

And please don't say this is already in place in GitHub... That is a platform for programmers that many of us mortals find very un-intuitive 😉 

I hate to say what you wrote... but....

The reason for saying to put all requests for developers over on github is that github is where the developers watch for feedback. If problems are reported on there, the developers get a notification and they work from there.

To add a second point of contact for them (the forums), it increases their time to monitor user feedback and also increases the chances of redundant or repeated requests and that can consume a good amount of time and resources that could be used for them to continue developing hardware and software.

Would creating a guide on how to submit feedback via github be helpful?

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Posted : 14/01/2022 10:25 am
burtronix liked
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin
Topic starter answered:

How about some threads for people offering or needing coaching in some specific areas. This would be more focused topics than the typical discussion thread, would be more one-on-one (perhaps continued by DM), & might go for longer. It would also be focused on general knowledge-building rather than solving short-term problems. Some suggested coaching topics for starters:

• FDM material properties, mechanics, chemistry, & how those affect your model designs & print quality.
  • Stepper vs. servo control, why it matters, & how it's implemented in Prusa printers.
  • Starting & running a 3D printing business (there could be a lot of sub-topics for this one).

Im interested with what you wrote, but how would you propose to do this? create a seperate section in the forums or create something like an article and have a discussion about it underneath?

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Posted : 14/01/2022 10:29 am
AndersK
(@andersk)
Eminent Member

To add a second point of contact for them (the forums), it increases their time to monitor user feedback and also increases the chances of redundant or repeated requests and that can consume a good amount of time and resources that could be used for them to continue developing hardware and software.

True, but I didn't suggest the developers to monitor such section.

I worked a long time with product development and I share your opinion on not steal focus from the developers. We have systems for change requests. The engineers don't monitor that but there are others that have that task that also decides what goes to the engineers/developers for implementation.

The forums are a great platform for your customers, asking us to go elsewhere is the same as asking your developers to go here and I bet there are a lot more of us than you have developers. 😉

If not the forum, just a simple form on the web pages to send in a change proposal would be second best. Then again it can go to your people that decide what to work with or not.

The best thing with having it on the forum though would be the voting function. Easy way for you to hear the voice of the customers and easily see which proposal appeals to a larger group. GitHub probably won't be best for that.

Posted : 14/01/2022 11:36 am
burtronix
(@burtronix)
Reputable Member

I would think these kinds of topics would need to have a separate section & have a vetted expert contributor leading each topic. Questions & discussion should be encouraged, but also tightly moderated to keep the threads on-topic. Then when a thread grows into something very useful, elevate it to "sticky" status.

Posted by: @same-old-shane

Im interested with what you wrote, but how would you propose to do this? create a seperate section in the forums or create something like an article and have a discussion about it underneath?

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do with all your might!

Posted : 15/01/2022 5:10 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

Suggestion:

Instead of deleting pictures and files from older posts, just delete the entire topic. I find a lot of topics that had files (3mf, etc) and pictures of defects have been reduced to something less than useful. It might even free up some more storage space for prints.

Kenn

Quality is the Journey, not the Destination. My limited prints->

Posted : 19/01/2022 8:18 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

It reminds me of the movie (Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind) everyday it seems like there's a little more gone, making the parts that are left useless. It's pointless to refer a user to those posts, they are left with more questions and wondering why you sent them there. I've taken to just giving disclaimers now.

Regards

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 19/01/2022 6:52 pm
kennd liked
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE:
Posted by: @kennd

Instead of deleting pictures and files from older posts, just delete the entire topic. I find a lot of topics that had files (3mf, etc) and pictures of defects have been reduced to something less than useful. It might even free up some more storage space for prints.

For my first couple of years on these forums, I embedded pictures hosted externally, usually on imgur. I started using the "friendly" local storage a year or two ago and regret it. Many of my oldest posts are still intact, and I'll probably revert to using externally hosted images if I'm going to bother putting any time into a post. Or just not post.

I do wonder if Team Prusa has bothered running compression on uploaded images. If people are uploading images from a high DPI display, those files can be huge. I started compressing images before uploading here but won't bother anymore. Running ImageOptim on my images folder significantly reduced (60-75% typically) the size of images on my notes pages without any noticeable degradation of appearance. I saw an immediate reduction in web traffic and associated costs. Using a CDN would also help reduce costs. CloudFlare caches roughly 1/3 of my content, also saving me money.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:15 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

It sure sucks having the rug pulled out from underfoot.Some of those older posts were valuable, like Jeff's life-z file being deleted.

Oh! it is 9am, and I have been up all night. Breakfast and then to bed.

Kenn

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:20 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
We should've learned from GeoCities

It sure sucks having the rug pulled out from underfoot.Some of those older posts were valuable, like Jeff's life-z file being deleted.

Oh, I agree. It's not the first time this has happened over my online lifetime. I was pleased that Team Prusa did such a good job migrating the old forums to the new -- though not without problems -- to preserve a lot of that legacy knowledge, only to come and rashly (IMO) trash so much of it. Having had a lot of my online content go suddenly *poof* was a big part of why I started putting my notes pages together. It bums me out thinking how much time and effort I put into Google Plus groups. And then there's GeoCities...

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:43 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

@bobstro

Who hosts your site?

<rambling deleted> I have noticed the absence of a large number volunteer helpers rarely if ever, post. 
Yes, I noticed your absence.

<more rambling deleted>

Kenn

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:47 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

It’s one of the reasons I post text descriptions of where a settings is located such as printer settings>extruder>xxxxxx rather than a screen cap of the settings page as the image could go but the text should be ok. That and I’m old lol. 

Posted : 20/01/2022 5:55 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

[...] Who hosts your site?

Right now it's running on a small virtual server that I maintain on Amazon AWS. I need to move it to a serverless setup to keep costs from growing as traffic increases, probably Amazon CloudFront in front of S3.

[...] I have noticed the absence of a large number volunteer helpers rarely if ever, post. 
Yes, I noticed your absence.

This community is a bit more fragmented these days with the Mini and the XL releases. Not a bad thing, but it was more fun (IMO) when most of us were united trying to squeeze the most out of the Mk3. When the COVID PPE push was ongoing, there was more of a feeling of common purpose. The "vibe" has definitely changed in the last 6 months. Not in a bad way, just not as much fun. I'm not avoiding posting here, but there are fewer topics that interest me enough to post lately. In the end I point people to my notes pages for details so am focusing my efforts more there now. We should set up a web ring between user-run sites just like it's 1994 all over again!

Posted : 20/01/2022 7:57 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @neophyl

It’s one of the reasons I post text descriptions of where a settings is located such as printer settings>extruder>xxxxxx rather than a screen cap of the settings page as the image could go but the text should be ok. That and I’m old lol. 

When someone asking for help posts screenshots instead of a 3MF, it's almost always the wrong screen!

Posted : 20/01/2022 7:59 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: