Notifications
Clear all

PrusaSlicer with non prusa printer  

RSS
pjbeard99
(@pjbeard99)
PrusaSlicer with non prusa printer

Hi,

I'm new here and to 3d printing. Full disclosure - I don't have a Prusa.

I've built my own take of the Hypercube designed by Tech2C. I Have been using Slic3r up until now. I needed to print a part that has a large overhang but it also has a 1/8" BSPT thread. When I enabled supports it also covered the threads. Hence my arrival to PrusaSlicer.

The problem I have is that when I try to print a part sliced by PrusaSlicer it is unbearably slow. The G29 probing is like watching a plant grow it's that slow.

I've looked at the gcode of the same model sliced both in Slic3r and PrusaSlicer. I see there is some gcode inserted in front of my start gcode which I assume is causing my problem. Is there any way to stop that being inserted?

The code automatically added is;

M73 P0 R10
M201 X9000 Y9000 Z500 E10000 ; sets maximum accelerations, mm/sec^2
M203 X500 Y500 Z12 E120 ; sets maximum feedrates, mm/sec
M204 P1500 R1500 T1500 ; sets acceleration (P, T) and retract acceleration (R), mm/sec^2
M205 X10.00 Y10.00 Z0.20 E2.50 ; sets the jerk limits, mm/sec
M205 S0 T0 ; sets the minimum extruding and travel feed rate, mm/sec
M107
M190 S70 ; set bed temperature and wait for it to be reached
M104 S225 ; set temperature

Any ideas how to stop this being added?

Thanks

Posted : 30/05/2019 11:09 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: PrusaSlicer with non prusa printer
Posted by: pjbeard99

[...] The problem I have is that when I try to print a part sliced by PrusaSlicer it is unbearably slow. The G29 probing is like watching a plant grow it's that slow.

Someone else posted what sounds like the same issue a few days ago. Looking at the gcode, there was nothing obvious. Did you use previous versions of Slic3rPE that worked well? It's difficult to help with 3rd party printers. All I can suggest is comparing gcode generated for the same (small) part sliced with one version that works and the new version that is slow.

You could try opening an issue on github.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/05/2019 2:41 pm
pjbeard99
(@pjbeard99)
Topic starter answered:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was previously using the standard Slic3r.

When I removed the above gcode it printed fine, so it would appear the Duet WiFi firmware didn't like it for some reason. I did have Slic3r PE installed at one point but never used it so maybe that was causing problems with the new install.

I seem to have sorted the problem by running the configuration wizard again. Used all the same details as before but it now doesn't add the above gcode.

Strange - but I'm a happy man now.

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:39 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: pjbeard99

[...] When I removed the above gcode it printed fine, so it would appear the Duet WiFi firmware didn't like it for some reason. I did have Slic3r PE installed at one point but never used it so maybe that was causing problems with the new install.

Ah, OK. That (maybe) makes sense. That gcode is generated based on the settings entered under Printer Settings->Machine Limits. If you know the correct values for your printer, you could try entering them on that tab.

I seem to have sorted the problem by running the configuration wizard again. Used all the same details as before but it now doesn't add the above gcode.

Strange - but I'm a happy man now.

I've been using Slic3rPE/PrusaSlicer for about a year. Older versions always added those M2xx commands. For a while, they eliminated them. Now they're back again, presumably to allow finer tuning via the hardware settings. Glad you're in business. Now if the search function worked well with this new (nasty) forum software, we could hunt down that other guy with the same issue and try to help him out!

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 30/05/2019 5:40 pm
marcottt
(@marcottt)
Trusted Member

i have a anycubic delta, same problem with z speed,  solved in machine limit tab.

I wanna thanks Prusa for this software, but i think some generic profile maybe added....  for a delta there is some parameter wrong...

Posted : 02/06/2019 7:36 am
JamesK1
(@jamesk1)

For anyone looking to do the same as I have.. it took me a bit to figure out but here is where the M73 command can be removed.

Printer Settings > General > Firmware > Supports remaining times  (Uncheck this box)

Posted : 04/07/2020 1:10 pm
Share: