Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Prusament spool remaining gauge.  

RSS
Dr Mike G
(@dr-mike-g)
Prusament spool remaining gauge.

Google has plenty of hits for people who have arduino or weight-based measurement systems for filament use - and plenty more for online calculators where you can put in the reel diameter and thickness, to calculate an estimate for how much filament you have to go before you run dry.

But it feels like Prusa are missing relatively a simple trick.  Could they not print a scale on the outside of their Prusament spools?

It wouldn't need to be hugely accurate to be useful - humans are generally pretty rubbish at estimating circular distances.

For example - I'm now down to here - but is this 30m or 300m remaining?

Someone enterprising could un-reel a whole spindle, measure it, and make a 3d printable measuring gauge too - but it would be easier to have a scale printed on the side of the spindle!

Thanks

Best Answer by Neophyl:

Look closer. It’s not in the most convenient place but on the inside of those flat areas are some rough measurements.  However weight is far far more accurate indicator of remaining filament. 

Posted : 22/09/2020 6:26 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Prusament spool remaining gauge.

Look closer. It’s not in the most convenient place but on the inside of those flat areas are some rough measurements.  However weight is far far more accurate indicator of remaining filament. 

Posted : 22/09/2020 6:47 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

I've thought of doing some math and coming up with a quickie 'depth sounding stick' for remaining filament but just have not done so, for no particular reason.

Posted : 23/09/2020 12:57 am
Dr Mike G
(@dr-mike-g)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl. Yeh! There it is - many thanks. I didn't see that hiding there. 😊 

Posted : 23/09/2020 6:35 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

@drmikeg

Yeah I only noticed it when I was taking one apart for an upcycling project.  I think it would have been better on the outside where you can see it without a flashlight lol.

Posted : 23/09/2020 7:20 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

That is fantastic - great find.  I am oblivious and blind to the world.  No offense to blind folks.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 23/09/2020 9:04 am
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

The box has the weight of the filament (minus spool). So you can also weigh an empty spool, subtract that from the weight of your half-used spool and determine how many grams remain. 

Posted : 23/09/2020 7:47 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Weight your spool, scan the unique QR code for your specimen, on page page with information about your spool and click the "What is left on my spool?" button.

Posted : 23/09/2020 8:57 pm
IPIND 3D liked
Floyd
(@floyd)

The "What is left on my spool" is fine and good, but it would be just as good if the weight of the empty spool was printed on it. Only 3 of the 5 spools of filament I got with my printer turned out to be prusament and -spools, so the calculator might be a bit off.

I read somewhere else that spools generally weigh about 250g, and slicers mostly also tell you how many g a print need, If the prusament spools are lighter, there'll just be a bit more filament left.

I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one that forgot to weigh the new spool before I started printing

Posted : 18/10/2020 1:39 pm
ChristieLeeEMT
(@christieleeemt)

Hmmm... What about a scale built into a spool holder? If it's built in, it'll be easier to remember to do it, and you'll have a before & after (and during) weight.

Posted : 18/10/2020 10:38 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

There are several projects that do that. One was posted on this board in the last week.

Posted : 19/10/2020 12:52 pm
ChristieLeeEMT
(@christieleeemt)

@towlerg

Cool. I'll have to look for it.

Posted : 19/10/2020 5:32 pm
Share: