Notifications
Clear all

Prusament color set 500/250gr spools?  

RSS
3DALHEMIJA
(@3dalhemija)
Estimable Member
Prusament color set 500/250gr spools?

Would you like to see 5 or 10x Prusament spool color sets per 250/500gr. filament?

I personally don't need 1KG spool of specific color for just occasional small colored print. So this set would be very helpful for me.

Posted : 12/01/2020 1:56 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member
RE: Prusament color set 500/250gr spools?

I'd not protest if they make some mix like that.

Also if they spool and sell filament from line when changing colors - up to spec, just color is not consistent. It would be sufficient for functional prints. You could even order and get "kinder surprise" of a filament,not knowing color just type. 

Posted : 12/01/2020 2:30 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @crawlerin

Also if they spool and sell filament from line when changing colors - up to spec, just color is not consistent. It would be sufficient for functional prints. You could even order and get "kinder surprise" of a filament,not knowing color just type. 

Sort of like the Dum Dums brand lollypop candy's "Mystery Flavor" which are made when they are changing the lollypop machines over to a new flavor. So, they may have an unpredictable blend of the previous and next flavors. Source: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/30823/what-mystery-flavor-dum-dums

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 13/01/2020 3:38 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I'd really like the option to buy smaller amounts in a spool-less format so I don't wind up with an ever-growing collection of non-recyclable spools. 250 and 500g MasterSpool formats would be wonderful.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 13/01/2020 3:45 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
Posted by: @crawlerin

I don't think they have any left to sell, they put that stuff up for grabs internally for employees to use 😉 Also unless you're making really small colour batches, you're usually restarting the line/doing a new batch so the colour transition happens while the output is not up to spec anyway, unless  you specifically plan to change colours without a shutdown. 

I'm betting they have enough production demand though that they don't do that - they probably make a large quantity of given colour on one line between maintenance windows, then shut down the line, do any maintenance, and start it up for the next colour.

Posted by: @bobstro

I'd really like the option to buy smaller amounts in a spool-less format so I don't wind up with an ever-growing collection of non-recyclable spools. 250 and 500g MasterSpool formats would be wonderful.

I recall either a video or blog mentioning something to that extent, they were looking at just the cardboard cores + filament, e.g. you'd reuse the flanges from an old spool. Agree it would be nice.

Posted : 13/01/2020 3:53 pm
pingu
(@pingu)
Estimable Member

i use prusamentspools for "das filament". its a german manufacturer wich sells fillament without spool for "masterspool". you have to cut 1,4 cm from the cardboard core and this filament fits perfectly. if anyone looks for a way to recycle

Posted : 13/01/2020 4:13 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Das Filament is also selling the "mystery color" filaments from switching colors.

I would think Prusament keeps lines going when changing colors, but of course I can't say for sure. That's what my father (and other companies in the same industry) was doing when switching to different colors for injection molding - it helps keep uptime because only pigment gets changed; resin and mould stays the same. Discolored goods were shredded and recycled. Which of course would be wasteful for filaments as Prusament does not use recycled material (AFAIK), I believe Josef said in one of interviews that what's not up to snuff they use internally or people take it. Either way it's not wasted.

Posted : 13/01/2020 5:26 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member

Actually, I wonder if Prusa already has an outlet for any mystery color (transition) spools. I remember on one of the Prusa factory tour videos the host asked about what happened to spools that didn't meet their 0.02mm spec. Josef replied that the out-of-spec spools went to the in-house maker lab. If they do produce transition spools, I would imagine that they would go to the same place.

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 13/01/2020 5:38 pm
gnat
 gnat
(@gnat)
Noble Member

PushPlastics sells 500g "master" spools which have no spools. There are a few specialty colors they only offer in 1kg normal spools, but they offer most of their PLA, PETG, and ABS in that manner. I've been happy with their PLA filaments so far. Excellent customer support too.

Not only are you not tossing dead spools, but when not in use you can re-tie the spool and take it off your spindle. Between the smaller spool size and the lack of the spool itself I'm able to almost triple what I can get in my dry storage box which means I can keep more options on hand.

I keep intending to ask them if they'd do 250g and 1kg master spools for cases where less or more is needed.

MMU tips and troubleshooting
Posted : 15/01/2020 5:43 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @gnat
PushPlastics sells 500g "master" spools which have no spools. There are a few specialty colors they only offer in 1kg normal spools, but they offer most of their PLA, PETG, and ABS in that manner. I've been happy with their PLA filaments so far. Excellent customer support too.
Filastruder has their entire Veracity line of PETG and PLA in 1Kg spool-less format. Unfortunately, their color selection is a bit tame. Had not seen Push Plastic's option, thanks.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 15/01/2020 6:08 am
gnat
 gnat
(@gnat)
Noble Member
Posted by: @gnat
Filastruder has their entire Veracity line of PETG and PLA in 1Kg spool-less format. Unfortunately, their color selection is a bit tame. Had not seen Push Plastic's option, thanks.

Yeah I've found many spoolless options, but PP is the first I've found with a good color selection (rather than just 2 or 3). The smaller size also appeals since other than black and neutral I tend to only need a small amount at a time (like the 500g trans blue spool I have where I only needed 4mm worth...).

MMU tips and troubleshooting
Posted : 15/01/2020 6:24 am
Share: