Notifications
Clear all

Printing Knife blades  

RSS
Paul
 Paul
(@paul-23)
Printing Knife blades

I am researching materials to use to print knifes.

I see some ceramic options where you print the item then fire it in a kiln. Not sure how that would work out to get a real edge on the blade. I think the firing will round the edge then I'll need to put an edge on it.

Another option is the new PC filaments I see on the Prusa web site. Ill never get a sharp edge on it but it should blow petg away.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on my two options or any other optons?

Thanks

Paul

Posted : 25/06/2020 2:47 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: Printing Knife blades

You can print metal, 500 dollar per roll, this needs to go the company to work on , you model will shrink 18%.

Posted : 25/06/2020 11:43 am
Paul
 Paul
(@paul-23)
Topic starter answered:

Sorry, I forgot, no metal. Trying to keep it stealth. :<)

Posted : 25/06/2020 1:08 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I don't think there's a current technology that would allow you to generate high-carbon knife blades that hold and edge and can be used in the field. There are sintering and other processes that will make metal things, but I'm not aware of "tool grade" 3D printing at the consumer level.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 25/06/2020 1:14 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: @paul-l17

Sorry, I forgot, no metal. Trying to keep it stealth. :<)

I'm not sure this is the right spot to discuss weapon builds ...

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 25/06/2020 5:28 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I we talking craft knife making or shivs in the prison library here?

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 25/06/2020 6:56 pm
Paul
 Paul
(@paul-23)
Topic starter answered:

No prison involved. I have some friends that constantly go through metal detectors and xrays. When they show the small blade they are carrying they are just sent through, but waste a lot of time. Just want something won't show up.

Posted : 25/06/2020 8:14 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I feel your pain. I've had a Gerber GDC zip blade get confiscated. The blade is 0.68in/17.3mm long.

Posted : 25/06/2020 8:52 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

I go through metal detector every day too, but as a tech employee they acknowledge I carry swiss army knife and occasionally other sharp tools. But baggage we carry goes through x-ray and plastic things are very visible, in fact security are suspicious of filament rolls too because it gets highlighted like crazy 😀 no its not Primacord, it's plastic for 3D printers sir, do you want me to show it to you?

I do not know what can be supplemented for real metal blade, there are durable materials but none of those withstand what metal edge does. If it's use for stuff like cutting fruits or cakes maybe, but real utility probably not.

Unless your friends return to the age of our ancestors and make replacement blade from flint stone or such. It's hard to do though, I can imagine takes a lot of practice.

Posted : 26/06/2020 12:14 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@bobstro

I had a miniature silver fork (present for silver collector) confiscated. Quite what they thought I was going to do with it, I really don't know

Posted : 26/06/2020 2:04 pm
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

@towlerg

At the airport they confiscate nail clippers. Seriously, WTF are you going to do with those to be able to hurt others? Threaten pilot to clip their toenails if they don't take you to Argentina?

Posted : 28/06/2020 12:10 am
Share: