poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

Notifications
Clear all

What sort of new fialment type would you like to see? Poll is created on Jan 14, 2022

poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member

Proto-Pasta's conductive filament?

Potentially useful for sensors - it's resistant enough that it could be used, with a wiper, as a potentiometer ... but it couldn't carry any useful current.

I wouldn't expect to conduct much power, perhaps enough to light an LED, but a printed signsl lead running through the body of a print would be valuable.

really helpful would be some method to reliably (physically and electrically) bond the ends of the 3d printed conductive traces to typical leads and contacts of common components

I would imagine that heating a pin with a soldering iron would be enough to embed it into conductive thermoplastic.

Cheerio,

Posted : 20/01/2022 12:40 am
AnnieR
(@annier)
Reputable Member
RE: poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

How about Wood's Metal? Used in all kinds of craft stuff. Will melt in boiling water. 

Posted : 21/01/2022 4:55 pm
NebraskaFarmer
(@nebraskafarmer)
RE:

A flexible filament fully resistant to gasoline, diesel, kerosene and UV radiation.

This post was modified 2 years ago by NebraskaFarmer
Posted : 24/01/2022 8:30 am
MileHigh3Der
(@milehigh3der)
Honorable Member
RE: poll 9, January 14th 2022 What sort of new filament would you make if you could.

Glass fiber filled PETG- better surface finish, better physicals, better printing? Cheaper than carbon fiber, hopefully.

Some kind of Prusament flexible that works in a MINI.

With the XL coming out, higher temp beds and Hotends for PEKK and others engineering polymers.

Posted : 28/01/2022 3:03 am
burtronix
(@burtronix)
Reputable Member

Partially recycled filament, with recycled content in the 10-30% range, the balance made up with virgin resin to maintain extrusion & mechanical properties.

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do with all your might!

Posted : 03/02/2022 10:26 pm
burtronix
(@burtronix)
Reputable Member

Soluble support filament PVA will break-down.

Posted by: @lichtjaeger

Some 100% biodegradable filament? Maybe cellulose acetate-based?

Posted : 03/02/2022 10:32 pm
Lichtjaeger
(@lichtjaeger)
Noble Member
Posted by: @burtronix

🤣But it hasn't any structural integrity and breaks down way too fast. Even for a test print, it should last for some hours and have some stiffness.

Posted : 04/02/2022 7:05 am
burtronix liked
burtronix
(@burtronix)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @burtronix

🤣But it hasn't any structural integrity and breaks down way too fast. Even for a test print, it should last for some hours and have some stiffness.

What? I gave you just what you ask for, but you find fault & add requirements (liked the ability to be actually useful). 😉 

Posted : 04/02/2022 4:03 pm
Dejf
 Dejf
(@dejf)
Trusted Member
Colorfull glass nylon

Nylon is my favorite filament. Yeah, its hard to print flawless, its very expensive - but at the same moment its durability is awesome. Glass (and a bit less well carbon and kevlar) filled nylons are good to print even without heavy covering, but there is very limited choice in colors: natural, white and black. And you even don't get all three from the same vendor.

I would love to have at least basic color set in glass (or glass/kevlar mix to reduce abrasivity) filled nylons. And if someone was playing with that, metal added nylons would enable whole new world of printed creations: outdoor metal looking objects. Currently only PLA is made metal looking which seem rather absurd to me as so many car things would be cool only if they could hold a few rainy days.

So it would be a big nylon development if I had all the possibilities posted above.

My opinion may not be right, but regret having so bad and right one too often.My models are things you can't see on any shelve. I create things that don't exist and that should be the…

Posted : 06/02/2022 5:57 pm
tyoindtoto
(@tyoindtoto)

hi

Posted : 09/02/2022 12:02 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: