Poll #2 October 30th 2021; What do you use your 3D printer for?

Notifications
Clear all

What do you use your 3D printer for? Poll is created on Oct 30, 2021

RSS
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin

Weekend discussion:  What do you use your printer for?

Hi all,

Greetings one and all;

We are starting a weekly series of various topics on which we would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, opinions. Our aim is to present an interesting topic and discuss it together, so we can all learn something new. Feel free to share your observations, findings, and tips and tricks to help others.

We want all of you to join! These topics are not limited to just Prusa printers - the entire 3D printing community is welcome to participate!

For our first one, we would like to know from the community is; 

What do you use your 3D printer(s) for?

• Hobbies
  • Work related
  • Both hobby and work
  • Other*

*please leave a comment below for your answer

Shane (Forum Admin):

For example, I am a bit of both as I run a print service for commissioned  jobs and I also print out A LOT of science fiction things. Recently I’ve been printing out other designer’s mech / robot designs. It has encouraged me to start learning how to design so I can create my own, look into diorama models so I can add more to my displays and also look into building actual robots like an octopod robot.

Jakub (Forum Admin):

Besides torturing the printers in the office, I would like to share one of my “outside” projects. I was visiting my previous employer, who is designing and producing glass facades for tall buildings. Each glass sits in a frame (roughly 3x1.5 m) and before they order the framing material (sometimes several kilometers), they need to verify the shape, both functionally and visually. These profiles are made from aluminum and producing just a few short specimens was costly and could take several weeks. To make things worse, even the most skilled designers were not able to get everything right on the first attempt.

Empowered with my knowledge about 3D printers, I suggested 3D printing these parts first and once the final prototype is selected, order them from aluminum. Printing them took me around 2-3 days and the results were more than good. Next time we met they were already rocking a 3D printer in their office 🙂

So now it is your turn, what do you use your printers for?

Vote in our poll, comment below, and show us your great prints / projects

This is not just for people who own our printers, but is open to everyone in the 3d printing community.

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Posted : 30/10/2021 7:47 pm
kennd liked
sylviatrilling
(@sylviatrilling)
Honorable Member
re

This is an art form for me. I sculpt in Zbrush, print and paint the print with an airbrush. 

Mk3S+,SL1S

Posted : 30/10/2021 8:06 pm
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin
Topic starter answered:
re

Very nice! 🙂
learning how to airbrush is on my list of 101 things I really want to get around to learning 🙂 I love the blending of the different shades of green. Also, now I have a craving for asparagus and scrambled eggs 🙂

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Posted : 30/10/2021 8:16 pm
SailorEric
(@sailoreric)
Trusted Member
It doesn't stop!

My retirement has swiftly become a full time job making e-NABLE type prosthetics for hands and lower arms. We arrived on our sailboat 4 months ago in eastern Guatemala and we may never be able to leave. Gigantic needs here and I love being able to give a life changing gift that they never dreamed possible.

So, in a way it is now my business but occasionally can slip another file in the que.

I'd post a picture but darned if I can figure out how. 

Posted : 31/10/2021 1:58 am
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member
RE: October 30th 2021 Weekend Poll; What do you use your 3D printer for?

I use my printer to make small things for around the home, both new and repair.

The two main things I use the printer for are seasonal decorations, especially Halloween and Xmas. I even make "costumes" for my printer:

This year's project is a 646 x 900 mm window decoration done almost entirely as a single layer Hilbert curve fill at 100%.

The one thing I really enjoy doing is experimenting and finding out what Prusaslicer and the printer can do. Some results are cool, like non-planar surfaces, and multi-colour vase mode prints

Kenn

Quality is the Journey, not the Destination. My limited prints->

Posted : 31/10/2021 11:05 am
BogdanH
(@bogdanh)
Honorable Member
Functional parts

I mostly print functional parts one can't buy in store nearby -either because part doesn't exist, is out of stock, or is too expensive. That was the main reason I bough printer. Ok, now and then I also print stuff that could be considered as hobby.

[Mini+] [MK3S+BEAR]

Posted : 31/10/2021 5:32 pm
Share: