Notifications
Clear all

Need to reset after new sd card inserted  

RSS
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Need to reset after new sd card inserted

Ever since I bought my MK2, updated to Mk2.5 plus, every time I change out an SD card while printer is on, I have to do a reset for it to recognize the new card and files. If I put the card in and then turn on the printer it is not a problem. This has not changed through many FW updates. Is this normal or do I have a "special" problem?

Posted : 09/11/2019 9:11 pm
DustinJay
(@dustinjay)
RE: Need to reset after new sd card inserted

Any chance you have a heavily loaded SD card? I've noticed that my printer takes much longer to read the card when it has tons of files on it. And it gets real snappy after I clean out all the old files. Just something worth checking.

Posted : 11/11/2019 2:40 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

it does it with a fresh card and has been doing it as long as I can remember (since I built the kit over 2 years ago--most likely)

if I insert the card then power up, no problem. It is only when I take out a card and put in a new one that it happens (says no card inserted) until I press the reset button and then it reads the card just fine.

Posted : 25/11/2019 5:35 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member

You may have a special problem. The way SD card sockets alert the systems they are attached to that a card has been inserted is via a physical switch that is activated by the body of the SD card. You may have a worn out SD socket, a problem with that one pin of the cable connecting the display board to the printer's main board (I don't recall which pin on which cable is connected to that signal, and the problem might be with the actual cable or the IDC connector at either end), or a problem with the micro-controller's pin that signal is attached to. Or I may be way off base. 😉

You can try unplugging and plugging in both ends of both cables (maybe a bit of dirt in the connector contacts?). I doubt that will solve the issue, but because it doesn't cost any money and is fairly easy to do it is the first thing I would try.

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 26/11/2019 3:31 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I will try that the next time I have the printer down for upgrade or maintenance. Since it did it from day one I guess I should have asked PRUSA then, not a few years later.

Posted : 29/11/2019 11:39 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Been a while I know but as an update, printer doe this will all my SD cards. I have since put in an extension cable to an outside enclosure slot and it does the same. It only does it when the card is removed while the printer is on and then, after adding a new file to the card or using another card, the card is inserted and I have to press the reset button to have it read the card. Like I said before, this has been doing this since day one. All FW and SW is up to date.

Posted : 30/03/2020 3:00 pm
spiff72
(@spiff72)
Trusted Member

I see this is an older thread, but my printer does the same thing (MK3S with MMU2S).  Just started doing this in the last few days.  I very rarely use the SD card, but I just went to use it recently because I got a layer shift in a tall print I was doing (with Octoprint and Display Layer Status - possible known issue), so I reverted to SD card printing because it never layer shifts on me).

The first time it happened, it would say "No card inserted", but today when I tried (prior print was done off the SD card), after pulling it out, copying files to it, ejecting it in Windows, and inserting it into the printer, the Print from SD card line was there, but when clicking it nothing would load.

I swear that it used to show a screen stating "sorting files on SD card" or something like this when I would first insert the card in the past (when it worked correctly).

Posted : 12/10/2020 2:51 pm
Carl A
(@carl-a)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I have a MK2.5S and a MK3S and both still do it. All I get when I go to the SD CArd selection is the word Main at the top of the screen. I have to press the reset button on the LCD frame to get the card loaded (or turn off and then on the printer). Has been this way since I got the printers (3 years for one).

Posted : 13/10/2020 2:40 pm
Share: