Clear all

Lubricant for very close tolerance moving parts  

RSS
Joey
 Joey
(@joey-2)
Estimable Member
Lubricant for very close tolerance moving parts

Doing mechanical puzzles out of Prusament PLA. Nature of puzzle requires small clearance between moving parts. Any suggestions for lubricant? Parts will be handled so can't be messy or muck up the hands.

Don't want to change material.

Mk3 - 1X
Mk3S - 2X
2021 Hyundai Palisade
Wife - 1X

Posted : 09/10/2019 5:19 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member
RE: Lubricant for very close tolerance moving parts

Furniture polish, but spray it on the cloth then rub the parts with it.

Or how about a food safe wax? :eg : https://www.timbecon.com.au/food-safe-wax

I use a food safe spray for moving parts called Interflon Slide Wax, whilst it may not be ideal for what you want, without any further information on what you are actually trying to lubricate and guessing you have sliding parts, then maybe look for something similar, maybe board wax etc.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 09/10/2019 6:57 pm
Joey
 Joey
(@joey-2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I have tried spraying the parts with diluted liquid soap, then letting air dry. It helps but the parts still don't glide as I would like.

Previous assemblies were made with a no-name filament and slid wonderfully. I have had to give more clearance with Prusament. Due to growth while printing, or the "slipperiness" of the two filaments?

Mk3 - 1X
Mk3S - 2X
2021 Hyundai Palisade
Wife - 1X

Posted : 09/10/2019 8:02 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Estimable Member

Bee's wax

Posted : 09/10/2019 8:37 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Any of the bicycle silicon or teflon dry lubes. They typically form a dry film that adheres pretty well.  Anything else seems to puff up the plastic, making it swell when applied. 

Posted : 09/10/2019 9:59 pm
Share: