is there an easy way to remove 1st layer failed prints?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
neroes
(@neroes)
Eminent Member

hi i was wondering is there someway to easily remove small prints that fails on the first layer,

i have been printing alot of these

https://www.printablescenery.com/product/openlock-magnetic/

infact 168 pr print plate

and if one fails they all fail, usually in the first layer, but it is really a pain to remove those single layer prints from the print plate

so any technics?

Posted : 07/08/2020 6:47 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: is there an easy way to remove 1st layer failed prints?

Picture?

And what filament are you using?

Why failing?

Posted : 08/08/2020 8:21 am
neroes
(@neroes)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @peter-m26

Picture?

And what filament are you using?

Why failing?

my bad, i don't have a current picture, but it is prusament galaxy silver pla, it is failing because my print plate is not entirely clean near the edges, i have attatched a pic of one of the failed prints, it is not impossible, just a pain to remove 168 of those

Posted : 08/08/2020 11:31 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

I use a spatula but this does not work always.

If it does not work, then I use a chisel to go under the print and push the print on a corner up, to release it, one thing with a chisel it will damage your pei sheet, so hold this very flat, otherwise you will damage your sheet.

Posted : 09/08/2020 4:43 am
neroes
(@neroes)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @peter-m26

I use a spatula but this does not work always.

If it does not work, then I use a chisel to go under the print and push the print on a corner up, to release it, one thing with a chisel it will damage your pei sheet, so hold this very flat, otherwise you will damage your sheet.

ok i use nails when my spatular can't push it off, but was hoping somebody knew a magic trick, like acetone in a spray bottle and a squirt and it releases or something

maybe i should try one of these then

https://www.amazon.de/Lurch-230270-Tango-Ceranfeldschaber-Kochfeldreiniger/dp/B07NJQ1SDY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lurch+nylon+cleaner&qid=1596975025&sr=8-2

can nylon damage the PEI?

Posted : 09/08/2020 12:11 pm
adammiller3250
(@adammiller3250)
Posted by: @soren-b4

hi i was wondering is there someway to easily remove small prints that fails on the first layer,

i have been printing alot of these

https://www.printablescenery.com/product/openlock-magnetic/

infact 168 pr print plate

and if one fails they all fail, usually in the first layer, but it is really a pain to remove those single layer prints from the print plate

so any technics?

did you find a solution to this? if you found a solution please share

Posted : 14/08/2020 8:51 pm
Milos V.
(@milos-v)
Prominent Member

I am also using spatula, but not trying to push it up on a corner, because this leaves marks on the PEI sheet. I just lay the spatula down on the bed as much as possible and start to bump with the spatula to the sides of the prints. Finally it pops up quite easily. Just do it in the direction of Y axis with motors off. So if the print did not release on the first try, the energy just move the bed backward and not go to the bearings.

Posted : 15/08/2020 7:05 am
Charlie
(@charlie-3)

I have a plastic putty knife that works very well without damaging the plate.   

Posted : 15/08/2020 12:08 pm
Bribunn
(@bribunn)

I bought this. I've only used one of the plastic ones so far and not the actual blade but it works great:

https://smile.amazon.com/Scotty-Peelers-Label-Sticker-Remover/dp/B0068QIQVA

This post was modified 4 years ago by Bribunn
Posted : 16/08/2020 3:27 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

have you tried chilling the build plate in the fridge?

or printing a single layer print over the failed prints, and peeling that off?

or dribbling IPA =on the cold build plate, leaving to soak into the bond interface  area, then using a plastic scraper?

ur getting a sharp knife, catching the edge of the part, and flicking it off the build plate?

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 16/08/2020 1:35 pm
Diem
 Diem
(@diem)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @soren-b4

so any technics?

I generally use the edge of  a scrapped or surplus print - If you're doing any sort of iterative design you'll have loads of no longer wanted parts or broken prototypes, give one or two of these a second life as a scraper.  You're using the same material so the single layer is the more likely to buckle and lift then, once it's started, you peel away the rest unaided.

As @joantabb suggested, cooling helps a lot; two minutes in the freezer can make a huge difference but once removed and scraped, unless you are going to print again immediately, put the plate into a closed bag until it has warmed to prevent condensation problems.

I would avoid chisels, knives and any metal implements until the last resort as they are the most likely to cause damage.

Hth, cheerio,

Posted : 16/08/2020 5:32 pm
Share: