Is it a bad idea to store PETG and PLA in the storage room of an apartment?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member

Hi, is it a bad idea to put un-opened and perhaps also opened filaments in the storage room of an apartment? The storage room is on the same level as the parking area in the basement of an apartment building. The storage room is in general cold.

Posted : 10/07/2020 2:36 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Is it a bad idea to store PETG and PLA in the storage room of an apartment?

As long as the filament isn't exposed to direct sunlight, it should be fine. I'd put opened spools in large freezer bags (ideally doubled) with a couple of packets of desiccant to reduce moisture absorption.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/07/2020 3:23 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks.

In general, do such storage room has more or less moisture than room in an apartment?

Posted : 10/07/2020 4:06 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @peter-c20

[...] In general, do such storage room has more or less moisture than room in an apartment?

That's really going to depend on where you live and your building. A storage room in Phoenix, Arizona will be very different than one in Worcester, MA (having lived near both). What you want to try to do is present a stable (cool, dry) environment for your stored filament. You can do this with dry boxes or (less effectively but cheaply) with sealed freezer bags. I do also have a filament dehydrator in case it does get saturated. I realized no matter what I do, some will eventually need to be dried out.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 10/07/2020 4:38 pm
Share: