How much longer will it take if using multi-color filaments to make a print?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member

Hi, supposing that it takes X minutes to complete a print using one filament. If I use multiple filaments (be it via the Prusa's MMU2s or Mosaic's Palette 2S Pro), how much longer will it take to finish the print? 2 colors take twice more time? 3 colors take three times more time?

Posted : 28/08/2020 2:54 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)
RE: How much longer will it take if using multi-color filaments to make a print?

There's not a linear relationship.  Each required toolchange adds a fixed amount of time to the process, so the total print time depends on the total number of toolchanges required.

this is why people often fill the sheet with multiples of the same object; the cost of toolchanges typically outweighs the time to print the part itself - so whether you print one or two of a multicolour item, the total print time is only slightly longer for two, because of the high time cost for the changes. 

Posted : 28/08/2020 3:43 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: How much longer will it take if using multi-color filaments to make a print?

Thanks. What do you mean by filling the sheet with multiples of the same object?

So if I want to use multiple color filaments, it is better to avoid having many different colors and also different colors at different locations?

Do people usually just print parts of different colors separately and then combine them manually together or just let the printer to handle everything at the cost of longer print time?

Posted : 28/08/2020 4:11 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

@peter-c20

The easiest way is to download PS. Select the MMU2 profile and try it for yourself. Play around with different models and also try to create multiple copies in the same print job.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 28/08/2020 4:33 pm
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member

@peter-c20

What vintagepc means is for every layer everything of color 1 is printed first, then color 2, etc...
When all colors for that layer have been printed, the printer goes to the next layer and begins with the last color printed (saves 1 color change).
Again when all colors for that layer have been printed, the next layer will be printed starting with the last color printed.

When you have 10 objects on your build plate the same color is printed on all objects and only then a color change is performed.
If you would have printed those 10 objects one after another you will have 10 times the number of color changes.

I hope this makes it clear...

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Posted : 28/08/2020 5:40 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @yveske

@peter-c20

What vintagepc means is for every layer everything of color 1 is printed first, then color 2, etc...
When all colors for that layer have been printed, the printer goes to the next layer and begins with the last color printed (saves 1 color change).
Again when all colors for that layer have been printed, the next layer will be printed starting with the last color printed.

When you have 10 objects on your build plate the same color is printed on all objects and only then a color change is performed.
If you would have printed those 10 objects one after another you will have 10 times the number of color changes.

Thanks. So if I want to print several copies of the same object/model, it is faster to do it at the same time provided that the build plate is big enough?

Posted : 28/08/2020 6:39 pm
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @peter-c20
Posted by: @yveske

@peter-c20

Thanks. So if I want to print several copies of the same object/model, it is faster to do it at the same time provided that the build plate is big enough?

In general, yes, with fewer filament changes for the entire batch.

Do keep in mind the area needed for the wipe tower, and the fact that a mechanical failure may spoil the entire batch and not just one item.

Posted : 29/08/2020 12:05 am
Share: