How do you EVER manage those HUGE two kilo filament spools?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

A while ago I ordered a 2kg spool from the US Filament PM of the 'silver gray' which appears to be the same as the stock filament shipped with the Prusa printers.  The 2kg spools I've always seen have been fatter and wider than the usual 1kg spools that everyone uses.

What came is this HUGE (as in about 14" in diameter) spool with only the outer 4" or so actually containing filament.  When I first saw it I was surprised but I figured I would just place it on one of those MMU2S spool holders and put it behind the printer with the buffer, but no way it would fit on one of those gadgets.  I have a nice hanging spool rack, but again, much too large.  Obviously it will not fit on the two-sided spool holder that comes with the I3.

I even tried using two of those spool holders side by side, but it was so unwieldy that the filament would not smoothly feed that way.

I just spent the better part of the last hour manually winding about half of it onto a regular spool so I can use it.  That was a tedious and awkward procedure.

How does anyone ever use and manage those things?  Just the footprint of that spool takes up so much 'real estate' that it's difficult to see it conveniently working.

Posted : 12/06/2020 9:39 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: How do you EVER manage those HUGE two kilo filament spools?

Use 2 hands.  

I made a holder for them.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/06/2020 10:53 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Ive got some 2.3kg spools and they fit on the normal i3 spool holder that is mounted on top of my lack stack.  The bracket I printed does raise it by about 15-20mm.  

Posted : 13/06/2020 1:13 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @neophyl

Ive got some 2.3kg spools and they fit on the normal i3 spool holder that is mounted on top of my lack stack.  The bracket I printed does raise it by about 15-20mm.  

Yeah, you got the spools I was expecting, more fat, as in length, as opposed to diameter.

Posted : 13/06/2020 1:15 am
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

Filament-PM has biggest 1 KG spools I have seen so far, they max out MINI spool holder (apparently it was designed to just fit those as there are probably no bigger spools for normal use). I can;t imagine size of their 2 kg spools 😲

Posted : 14/06/2020 4:57 am
Yveske
(@yveske)
Estimable Member

Maybe you could use a lazy susan like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2782688

Having problems with bed adhesion every morning...

Posted : 14/06/2020 6:39 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

My holder for 1 kg rolls has ball bearings that the rim rides on. Should work for any size spool. Not MMU friendly though.

My single spool sits in the center of my Lack enclosure lid.

Posted : 17/06/2020 2:39 am
JohnDoe
(@johndoe-5)

well... they do as well 8kg spools... and because of the pricing I am tempted to order them... 😀 

Posted : 19/06/2020 8:58 am
Share: