Has anyone ever used, or any thoughts about the Ultimaker S5?

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone ever used, or any thoughts about the Ultimaker S5?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: Has anyone ever used, or any thoughts about the Ultimaker S5?

And the answer is ... {drum roll} ...

The one on the left is the Ultimaker, the one on the right is the Prusa.

In looking at them in real life, they are VERY similar.  The smoothness of the bow is the biggest difference.  The bulge (buldge?) 😉 where the deck meets the hull is very small in both, but slightly larger in the one done with the Prusa.

My latest project (set of rails and motor drive to move a Lionel crane along said rails) has several parts, and I've been using both printers.  Mostly the Ultimaker for the larger parts, specifically pieces of the rails that will not fit, even at an angle, on the Prusa, and the Prusa mostly for smaller parts and those which need to be iteratively fitted to each other.

Posted : 21/01/2021 12:02 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: Has anyone ever used, or any thoughts about the Ultimaker S5?

For those who might be interested, tonight (during Young Sheldon - LOL) I successfully converted the #1 extruder on the Ultimaker S5 to 1.75mm filament.  I just printed a test cube and it came out exactly as expected.  It's cooling now, and I'll go remove it from the plate with the electric impact hammer as soon as it cools down a bit.

A big thanks shout-out goes to @sergey who let me know that 1.75mm conversion kits were available.  I used the Mosaic kit, made by the same folks who make that quasi-MMU box that some use with the Prusa.  It took (for one extruder) less than 30 minutes from open box to loading filament.

And, there's one guy on the Ultimaker forum who says he uses 1.75mm filament on the S5 by simply setting the extrusion to something like 185%, with no hardware changes at all.

Posted : 22/01/2021 2:24 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: